ANY chance this could be a pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kelsieann124, May 4, 2017.

1. kelsieann124

kelsieann124 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2017
    Arizona
    Okay I am just about 90% sure this is a roo. He's a 5 week old SLW, and as you can see the comb is pretty red, and there are three distinct rows. BUT I was looking at the feathers coming in on his back and neck, and they are not the white color that the Roos have, they look more like the pullet feathers. But I'm not sure so I will let you guys give input! Thank you![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I have never owned a SLW but in my other multi-marked chickens (ex. partridge silkie) they only got those fancy neck feathers when they are older, so I'd probably assume the silver neck feathers will come in when he's older :(

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    To young, wait at least another 3 weeks

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

The laced varieties of Wyandotte are easy to sex when their lacing comes in. Girls will have perfect lacing while boys will have more of a mottling on the top of their wings, possibly described as bars. For yours, it would be white blotchiness instead of lacing.

Your legs are still looking thin and waddles are still small. Waddles on my SLW boys were much bigger at that age. That comb might be trying to deceive you. It does look pink, but that might just be the face and not the actual comb. And it isn't particularly large looking. So I wouldn't say 90% boy or jump to any conclusions just yet! [​IMG]

If you got them as sexed I'm not seeing current indicators of male. But you get to see the daily behavior which is often a good clue.

Agree still to young. [​IMG]

5. kelsieann124

kelsieann124 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2017
    Arizona
    Thank you for the hope!![​IMG]I will post again in a few weeks!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    please post new photos at 6-8 weeks of age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by