Any chance this is not a rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kyotto, Oct 4, 2015.

1. kyotto

kyotto Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2015
    I have a small flock of just 3 birds. We live in a small town and I can only have hens. Roosters are not allowed. Any chance that bird in the front is not a rooster? Birds are about 3 month old and while I can find a new home for the 3rd bird, I am afraid that if I only leave 2 other birds - they will feel lonely and scared. Any thoughts or word of advice? Thanks! Oh, and if you think the other two are also not hens - I'm going to cry :(

[​IMG]

2. I HRT YARDBIRDS

I HRT YARDBIRDS Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2015
    I would say that it is a rooster, by looking at the tail feathers..I could be mistaken.

1 person likes this.
  3. DallasUrbanChic

DallasUrbanChic Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2015
    Oak Cliff, Dallas, TX
    Yes, it's a rooster. Two birds isn't bad, but I've found that it's much easier to integrate a single new bird when they are as young as yours are. So, if you are considering making the swap, do it now, before all the hormones kick in.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. kyotto

Oct 2, 2015
    Oh well... I guess I need to start looking for a swap on the craigslist. Thanks a lot for replies. Really appreciated!

5. DallasUrbanChic

DallasUrbanChic Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2015
    Oak Cliff, Dallas, TX
    Also check in with the place you got the chicken. Often, they will guarantee the gender accuracy to 90%. They may let you swap or send you a replacement.

1 person likes this.
  6. kyotto

Oct 2, 2015
    Yes, they mentioned that accuracy in not 100%, but they told me upfront that if I have a rooster - I'll need to manage that myself. They gave me a phone number of a lady that can help out. Hopefully will resolve it tomorrow and put it all behind me. Thanks again!

7. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

That is one handsome Roo! I bet he'll find a happy home. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  8. kyotto

Oct 2, 2015
    Yes, this is so true! My daughter loves him. We definitely going to miss him! So sad he can't stay...

9. vivaciouswoman

vivaciouswoman Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2015
    Beautiful birds!! What are they?

1 person likes this.
  10. vivaciouswoman

vivaciouswoman Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2015
    I see now quite clearly the difference in the feathers--pointy versus rounded. Is that what everyone looks at to make a determination?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by