Any chance this would keep a raccoon out?

matimeo

Songster
9 Years
Jul 29, 2010
Oregon
c69851a4-db97-4f6e-82b0-9db0bb246efe_300.jpg

Thinking about putting these on my coop windows.

Also, wondering if a carabiner put through a hasp
19f7e265-fda8-4db4-b7ee-fefe32c03cdc_100.jpg
would be raccoon proof.

Thanks!

No, the first lock won't work. A racoon will be able to open it. The lock below will work if you put a lock on it or one of those hiking hooks. They are made in different colors. I don't know what they are called. Some people use them to hold keys.

I use a carbiner on a hasp, on the coop door. The raccoons have never messed with it, or the chickens. They are more interested in the pond and preying on the left over catfood.

Good luck,
Imp

I put 1/2 inch hardware cloth on the inside of my windows. They stay open all summer.

We have two of the first thing on our run door, but we also have an actual lock. We have it that way because I don't believe the one item, alone, would take care of keeping them out.
As for chicken wire inside windows, I think that a raccoon could easily tear that apart and enter. Hardware cloth, well-secured, is probably much more of a deterrent.

I use fat washers and a screw every 8 or 10 inches to secure my hardware cloth. On some large expanses I'll just sandwich it with strips of wood, so it's down tight. I build for bear.

If a determined, evil 10 year old boy could get in and hurt them, then a raccoon could.

The first lock wouldn't stop a coon--they'd fiddle with it until they got it open. The second type will work well if it is heavy weight--not a cabinet--type but more of a gate type where the eye turns--and has either a padlock or a clip on it. A coon is surprisingly strong when it comes to getting in where it wants too and chicken wire will be not slow it down--use hardware cloth and make sure it is well fastened. The idea of using washers and screws or molding is the best otherwise heavy fence staples.

Back
Top Bottom