Any chance?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rancher hicks, Aug 6, 2009.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I've recently have hatching going on. How long after hatching begins should I determine those that haven't hatched won't?
    I started w/ 13 but at day 7 two showed no airsac so I scrapped them. They had spots but no signicant developement. The others I couldn't be sure cause they are spotted Delaware eggs and too dark for me. I'm a newbie.
    I didn't candle all so I can't be sure.
    Right now I have 1 hatch and 2-3 with peep holes. I don't want to open the incu to check and interfere.
    I heard peeping yesterday afternoon. Not from the one that hatched.
    Oh yeah I forgot I have a cochin bantam 24 wks sitting on nest of 3 standard eggs too. About a week now. She's spread out like a pancake. She's gotten off once for a bit but went right back and last I saw she's still there. How hard is it to move a broody? Would it hurt to move her to somewhere away from her coop mates? Say a pen in another coop area. I have a room off my garage. She wouldn't have access to outside though. It's a big round swimming pool. Safe though and it gets light and air.

2. shuizar209

shuizar209 Songster

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    I would seperate the broody for sure. She will protect her chicks but with so many coopmates it might be difficult. As for yor bator eggs, my hen abandoned the rest after two to three days to take care of her hatched chicks. Hope this helped. GOOD LUCK!

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well here's an update. The broody is back on her nest after being off long enough for a couple of new eggs to be left. I'
    ve removed them. There were seven eggs but I don't lknow for sure how long thev'e benn there. I took the egstras out and left the 3 original eggs. the new 4 were smaller newbie eggs.
    the incu hatch is voer with 6 chicks out of 13 orginal. some not firtil. some died during but not sure exect one that died bfroe getting out of the egg. darn!
    do you leave all eggs and chickes til hatch is voer or remover them as they hatch? I kinda think if *I left them til they hatched the first would have nocked the one that could n't get out, out and it would've lived. have to type fast, on library comput and have time limit.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: