1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any Cheese makers?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by chicken stalker, Sep 12, 2009.

1. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    I would love to start making some cheese. Any advise, tips or recipes would be great! Thanks.

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:[​IMG]

3. GrayDragon

GrayDragon Chillaxin

Sep 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Fresher the milk the better. I have horrible luck with store-bought milk.

4. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    i have made it and have plans to teach a friend friday how to make it. I make soft cheeses... like nufachtel, and cream cheese... theres not much to it really and its fairly gratifying!!!

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I have been learning...It is very hard to find store-bought milk that is not ULTRA -pasturized. The only place I have found so far is Costco, which sells homiginized/pasturized milk. I am having varying degrees of success with that.

It is illegal to sell raw milk in AZ, with very few exceptions. There is ONE place in the valley that can sell it, and it is $10 a gallon. Much too expensive for "learning" and "experiments" with cheese.

Allthough, I did pony up the cash once, and it was the best cheese ever!

6. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Quote:You can buy calcuim chloride to help with the curding in store-bought milk. Try www.cheesemaking.com ---they ROCK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by