Any clickers out there

kinnip

Songster
11 Years
Feb 24, 2008
Carrollton, GA
I've recently started my horses on clicker training. It's been a very positive experience for all of us. My Arab mare has gone from Miss Fidget to standing with her head in her bucket while groom her. It's nice to not chase a horse around with a curry comb. My gelding is a little slower, but he's learned to bite his target when he wants to bite me, again while grooming. I haven't yet implemented the technique under saddle. Just wondering are there any clicker trainers here?

I have only used a clicker with my Welsh Corgi which worked pretty good and I have thought about teaching my horse some stuff with a clicker. Maybe we could learn together.

Sure. I've never trained a dog, so this is all very new to me. It's a little intimidating at first because of the detail oriented nature of it. Trying to break down something like shoulder-in into tiny chunks is a challenge. Luckily there are a lot of resources on the net and a few good books. Alexandra Kurland makes a lot of it easier to understand. I'd like to buy her second book on working under saddle. So far, the best thing about the clicker is that my horses genuinely seem to enjoy themselves. They enjoy just being handed a treat, but they certainly aren't as enthusiastic about it as they are about earning one through clicker games. My mare is 100% focused when I use the clicker. The gelding still drifts, but he's not exactly splitting atoms in his free time.
wink.png

ha! Just noticed your joke about splitting atoms. made me spit coffee.

My poodle can't split atoms, but she's an amateur rocket scientist.

edited for mindblowingly un-readable typing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom