Any clue on what this could be?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by oEch0o, May 2, 2017.

1. oEch0o

oEch0o Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2017
    I have six chicks, and an illness. At first I thought the other chicks were pecking Captain's eye, but in not thinking that's the case anymore. Now I'm thinking that they would peck him because he's different. My little Orlaff started getting picked on after a few days of being alive, and now Captains loosing fluff around her eye and on her back. Any clue what this might be? Captain's back is a little wet from me trying to clean her off, hoping it would help. Warm water of course

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hi there, you say he is 'different' ..how so? Is the eye infected at all, or is it just the area around the eye? If the fluff/feathers are gone and just skin showing, I think I might try a little blukote on the exposed areas as long as there is no broken skin. This should stop the pecking, if that's what is happening...

3. oEch0o

oEch0o Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2017
    I'm not sure how he's different. I just thought maybe they noticed something I didn't in her. It's only around the eye. I've paid close attention to making sure there's no gunk in her eye because I don't want her to have to live half blind. I've never heard of blukote before though. Is it like blue lotion?

4. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Yes - you can buy it at your local farmstore, there are several different brands - blukote, no-pick etc. The idea is you paint the area you want to protect. It colors the skin blue making it less than attractive to the other birds. Be careful around the eye..
    I have a hen that is almost blind from cataracts and has been from birth, she manages well and doesn't let the others pick on her!

Last edited: May 2, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by