Any clues to when a hen may start egglaying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Elsachicken, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Elsachicken

Elsachicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2017
    Hiya!

I was just wondering if there are any clues or things to watch out for when a hen may be ready to start egglaying.

Thanks!

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    She will show interest in the nest box, spend a lot of time scuffing around in the box, playing with and flinging the hay around, may toss it over her back. She will sing the egg song. She will squat for a rooster, and if you don't have one, she will squat for you. You'll make her day when she does so if you ruffle the feathers at the base of her back. Her comb and wattles will plump up and get noticeably redder.

3. Elsachicken

Mar 4, 2017
    Thanks for the info.
    I will give it a go and my light Sussex does squat when I stroke her and I wondered why she started squatting [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  4. caseybean025

caseybean025 Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    Wisconsin
    All 4 of my girls started squatting and laid within two days of the first squat. Fingers crossed you'll get an egg soon!

5. Elsachicken

Mar 4, 2017
    [​IMG]

Looking forward to a first egg!
    In your opinion is the red bit red enough? All I've noticed is the squatting in the last two days.

6. caseybean025

Sep 6, 2016
    Wisconsin
    With my purebred bantam cochin, she was about as red as your girl I'd say. After her first egg is when I really noticed hers getting even bigger and more red. I know some people noticed that beforehand, but it wasn't the case with me.
    Close to POL. [​IMG]
    After POL. Actually while laying. Lol. [​IMG]

7. Elsachicken

Mar 4, 2017
    Still no eggs yet, but she squatting a lot still and also digging around in her coup and also her red bit is redder than I've seen it before!! Checking eagerly throughout day [​IMG]

8. caseybean025

Sep 6, 2016
    Wisconsin
    I swear they know when we're waiting for eggs and purposely hold out on us! Those are all signs of it being VERY close, so I hope they hurry up for you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by