Any clues what I got and how I can determine gender? Pics included

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HeatherLynn, May 18, 2009.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Grrrr I tried to research. I did tons of research on what breeds i wanted. I wanted easy going, friendly, good laying birds. I researched the coop, the run, the feed. I bought books. Lots of books. Then I went to buying chicks. I wanted slightly older chicks in the hopes of finding more who had been sexed.

I bought barred rock pullets that ended up beings roosters. I bought araucana's pullets and found out they were easter eggers and one of those might even be a male. I bought golden comets. Based on coloring I had all females BUT when I talked to this guy he said that golden comets are RIR and buff Orpington mix. I start reading on here and thats aparently not true. SOOoooooo my father is insistent I have 4 roosters out there too. HOW MANY BLOODY PET CHICKENS CAN A GAL EAT!! Is there a super source for learning everything needed to buy chickens without being " that thing you put things together with thats not a nail" Geez flipping louise I am so irritated and feel like the biggest fool. This is really turning me off this.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  2. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    Chickens can be reliably sexed (90%) at 1 day and 6+ weeks. In between can be a crap shoot. If you just want pullets, then ordering pullets online is your best bet. Feed stores are usually straight run and people selling probably have less idea than you.

If you can keep a rooster, do so. Otherwise, eat one a week or give them away on here or Craig's list.

BTW, I don't think you will find much difference between Ameracauna's and Easter Eggers this side of South America.

3. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Its not the breed that upsets me. Its being lied to. over and over and over.

Just frustrated. I'm pregnant and hormonal in the first place. Being messed with by liars on top of that turns teary to pissy real fast.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That is inexcusable that he told you so many whoppers, Heather. The things he told you range from perhaps being misinformed, making stuff up or just plain lying.

5. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Heather,
    So sorry you weren't treated right. It can be very frustrating when folks don't tell you the right info cause they know you're new to the whole thing. I wish I had an easy solution for you. Good luck and take it easy, stress doesn't help you or that baby.

I'd post all those boys online - as suggested - if you can't bear to eat them. I too have more boys than I need. We just recently moved to PA from NC and I was finally able to catch up all my record keeping only to discover that I am missing 5 birds. Now, I know it sounds like I should have known I was missing them, but I have been up in PA job hunting since the beginning of March. I left my hubby and all the birds in NC. He didn't keep up with anything more than feed and water.

It seems I had someone come on the property and remove 5 of my black orpingtons. It now comes clear to me why I have 5 4 month old cockerels and no pullets!!! I am so steamed at this whole mess and worst of all there is nothing I can do about it!!! Sometimes, people just suck.

6. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    So anyone have an idea what these chicks are really. Rhode island red rooster and buff orpinton hen. I did see the parents of these. Beautiful birds but not alot of help if I have boys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what I think I know. I think they are 10 weeks old. Not trusting my information right now understandably. Yellow legs. Small little combs. No bigger than my easter eggers had at this point. All pretty yellow. Maybe some of the bigger ones might have a peachy tinge but not much more than that. How are they going to be at laying. I got comets because of laying ability. How will my mutts compare.

7. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    btw this guy is still advertising these as golden comet pullets so once I am positive I have been duped I am emailing and calling him and then posting that this is not true.

8. lux_interior

lux_interior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Joliet
    I'm sorry you're so frustrated, I'm sure it's even worse being pregnant and all..... However, those birds in the pictures DO look like red sexlinks.. at least, they look a lot like my red sex links. Mine were sold to me as "cinnamon queens" but most breeders or hatcheries give various names to them... they're all red sex links. The fathers are always either Rhode Island, or New Hampshire Reds, and the moms are white rocks. AND, as far as I can tell in your pic, they do all appear to be hens! Hang in there [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2009
  9. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Heather, those look like my hatchery Rhode Island Reds. Have no idea if boy or girl. Hatchery RIR's are not the deep mahogany red they should be, but diluted to be better at production I am told. Don't give up hope that there are some pullets in your bunch. I live in KY, are you close to Lexington? I will be selling those same RIR's for $12.00 each if you are interested. They were hatched Oct. 1st. and are just now gearing up with the laying. We are getting pullet eggs, and each week they get a little bigger. RIR's seem to be supper sweet and come right up to you when you enter the coop. I have about 15 of them, as I gave my mom 5 this weekend.

10. lux_interior

lux_interior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Joliet
    I have Hatchery Rhode Island Reds, as well as the sex links, and I definitely think yours are sexlinks. You can tell by all the white feathers they have. Even though Hatchery RIR's aren't as dark as purebreds, they do not have white in them like the sex links do.

In this picture, the three most solid red ones, are my RIR's. the other two are sex links... the one towards the back that is red with lots of white down by its butt, is the one that looks most like your birds, which leads me to believe they are the same thing.. hope this helps [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by