Any cold hearty, docile breeds that look like red jungle fowl?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CradG, Feb 11, 2019.

1. CradG

CradG Chirping

Jun 13, 2017
    I am wondering if anything with coloring similar to the original chickens, red jungle fowl, but that are docile and cold hearty exist? Would love to get something with that look, but want it to be happy spending most the time in the decent size run and handle Wisconsin winters.

ButtonquailGirl14 and Kessel23 like this.
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I can't think of one that fits that criteria but you can peruse these excellent breed selection charts.
    http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/chickenbreedcomparison.pdf
    http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

Docile, friendly breeds are those that need lots of predator protection and don't fare greatly in a free range environment.

That said, most chickens can be tamed with enough time and effort.

Cold hardy breeds are those that were developed in cold climates. I'm not aware of a jungle fowl type bird that was developed in that type climate.
    However, red jungle fowl have a native range that goes all the way into the Himalayan foothills so they are quite adaptable.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  3. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    Where in WI are you? I'm also in Wisconsin.

4. ThracianHorse

ThracianHorse Songster

Aug 19, 2010
    Washington State
    Welsummers, maybe? The breed have the overall shape of a cold-climate bird, but they have reasonably similar coloring. (I know it's not EXACT, but it's at least similar!)

ButtonquailGirl14, Kessel23 and CradG like this.
  5. CradG

CradG Chirping

Jun 13, 2017
    We live in Madison. How about you?

6. CradG

CradG Chirping

Jun 13, 2017
    Thank you! Our run is built like a tank and they only free range when I am outside with them so we have not had any issues with predators. Just thought it would be cool to have something I can show my daughter, nieces, nephews, etc that looks reasonably like the chicken ancestor, but don’t want to necessarily mix a small, flighty chicken in my flock of mostly orpingtons, marans, and easter eggers, especially if they won’t do well in the winter.

7. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    I'll pm you

8. Kessel23

Kessel23 Free Ranging

Feb 6, 2018
    Wisconsin
    I agree with Welsummers. They are large birds and will do well in Wisconsin. Similar color to the RJF but different shape. Brown leghorns are also an option, I had a hen live 5 years through the Wisconsin winters, she just recently was killed by a raccoon.

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  9. ThracianHorse

ThracianHorse Songster

Aug 19, 2010
    Washington State
    In brainstorming a little bit about breeds... if you wanna go unusual and rare, Twentse, or Altsteirer might fit the bill too. I know they were developed in Europe, but I don't know their cold-hardiness or docility relative to other more common birds.

10. muddy75

muddy75 Songster

Aug 17, 2018
    southern indiana
    C7BBA4DC-D03A-4A65-BFF1-CFA08FF2BEC7.jpeg i agree welsummer too....here’s a pic of my 3 mo cockerel (for coloring)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: