Any complaints/ good reviews on the Acurite termometers/hydroemters?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by L.L Farm, May 18, 2011.

1. L.L Farm

L.L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Maine
    http://www.partshelf.com/acu-rite-00613.html

That is the link to the one I have, i was just wondering if anyone had used these and you like them? Hate them? I was using both this one and a brand new regular thermometer that came with my LG incubator. I had used the Acurite for multiple hatches and was pleased with it, it about a year old now. I was wondering if you guys would trust the Acurite or the new thermometer from the LG more. When I had them in the incubator, they were both reading different temps of about 6 degrees. the Acurite was showing higher temps .

LG thermometer -
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/chicken-equipment/little-giant-trade-thermometer-kit-2167484

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  2. carolynm

carolynm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    Bailey, CO
    My accurite thermometer purchased at Walmart reads about 4-5 degrees low. I have 4 thermometers in my incubator -one fish tank non-digital thermometer, one cheap round analog made in china thermometer/hygrometer, the accurite and another digital atomic clock thermometer. All but the accurite are within one degree or so of each other. I couldn't believe how out the accurite is.

3. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    My accurite doesn't read consistenly its high or low depending on the day. Only by a few degrees, but enough to cause problems.

4. L.L Farm

L.L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Maine
    So I guess I would be better off with the thermometer that came with the incubator?

5. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    I use it as a back up...and also in the brooder. But if you check chookschicks cheat sheet she recommends 3 thermometers set at different levels, and the really cheap aquarium kind. She says the humidity affects the board that the thermometer is on. I did this and it saved my butt! I had cold spots in my incubator and the three thermometers in different locations found it for me. They are like 1.80 or something at wal-mart. I also use a reptil thermometer...one of the cheap ones thats round...its really accurate. Her cheat sheet is for a still air...but is applicable to any incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by