Any Computer Geniuses on here?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Peaches Lee, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    My laptop has shut down. First it completely rebooted itself so I lost all of my documents and photos and favorites (on the web). Now, when I turn it on, it shuts down-restarts, shuts down-restarts.I'm really, really bummed about losing my photos most of all.

Is there any chance of getting this computer fixed so I can just retrieve my photos? Or is it all gone forever...[​IMG]

It's an 8 yr old Gateway if that makes any difference. Thanks for any help! [​IMG]

2. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    If you can get it fixed and there's not a memory problem then your stuff with probably still be there (unless there's some major problem), what kind of computer is it?

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Is your battery charged?

4. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the replies...[​IMG]

It is a Gateway laptop.

I have it plugged directly into an outlet so I think that would mean the battery is charged?

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:If it were in my house, that plug may not work right.

6. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I had that happen to me once, took it to the computer shop, was told it was some sort of malware (virus etc.,) don't even remember whether it was repairable -- but at least maybe they could recover your data.

It should be running off regular power when it is plugged in. I once had one I used only when it was plugged in, with the battery removed. (Employer wouldn't replace the defective battery.)

NOT a computer genius, though.

7. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Well first off let me tell you this, you should never lose anything from your hard drive as a normal hard drive has something like seven layers of storage noting is ever deleted.

First if you can get on it long ennough to install this http://free.avg.com/ca-en/homepage and this http://www.malwarebytes.org/ do it. if not try restoreing it (if you make backups). If not i would go get it fixed by a "pro" and then go buy norton ghost to mack daily back ups

8. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Can you start it in safe mode?

9. Runt Of The Litter

Runt Of The Litter Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    cheshire,UK
    Quote:was it some years ago?,might have been the msblaster virus,mine-like a huge number of computers was hit by that,naffing microsoft didnt put the patch out intime,spread so easily because not all of us have automatic windows updating turned on. *cough* *cough*.[​IMG]

woud agree on this one,it shows the behavior of a virus and not a hardware failiure.
    a struggling hard drive failiure for example more often than not happens gradually,and if are lucky enough to own a rig where the fan does not resemble a wind tunnel ,will start to hear the disc in the hard drive skipping-a slight clicking sound,it will take ages to boot,load stuff and shut down.
    however,the description sounds very unlike a hardware failiure but is far more inline with viruses/malware that take advantage of buffer overflow exploiting-its classic behavior of this infact.

disconnect the net physicaly whilst scanning,incase remote restarting is being used.
    safe mode AV scanning is the best way to attack viruses.

will also need to update the OS with all patches and service packs.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  10. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:was it some years ago?,might have been the msblaster virus,mine-like a huge number of computers was hit by that,naffing microsoft didnt put the patch out intime,spread so easily because not all of us have automatic windows updating turned on. *cough* *cough*.[​IMG]

woud agree on this one,it shows the behavior of a virus and not a hardware failiure.
    a struggling hard drive failiure for example more often than not happens gradually,and if are lucky enough to own a rig where the fan does not resemble a wind tunnel ,will start to hear the disc in the hard drive skipping-a slight clicking sound,it will take ages to boot,load stuff and shut down.
    however,the description sounds very unlike a hardware failiure but is far more inline with viruses/malware that take advantage of buffer overflow exploiting-its classic behavior of this infact.

disconnect the net physicaly whilst scanning,incase remote restarting is being used.
    safe mode AV scanning is the best way to attack viruses.

will also need to update the OS with all patches and service packs.

Actually this sounds like an automatic update gone bad. upon startup go to recovery mode, and then do a system restore to an earlier point before the problem started.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by