Any concerns about wild Canada Geese interacting with domestic ducks

Pics

HeatherKellyB

✝️ Perfectly Imperfect ✝️
May 31, 2019
Moore County, NC
We've only had ducks since August 2019. Before now, we'd have a pair of Canada Geese stop in to hatch out some goslings, about twice a year, every year. Well, it's that time again. I've noticed geese stopping by, on two or three occasions to check out the pond and an island they use to build their nest on and hatch out their goslings. They usually fly off as soon as they notice me or when the ducks are let out and swim straight towards them, with Honey, my Pekin Duck, making a fuss the entire time. Today the geese didn't leave and Honey eventually gave up making a fuss. The geese even came over and enjoyed some of the floating waterfowl feed that my ducks came in the yard to ask for, but enjoy it best when I toss their feed into the pond. The geese didn't seem to bother any of my ducks or drakes, even the Drake that has been bullied and made to keep a distance from the others (I am actively trying to find homes for these drakes). The geese even seemed to make friends with Reggie (my bullied Drake) and ended up hanging out with him most of the day. Is there anything I need to be worried about with our visitors? I know they produce an awful lot of extra poop, but I don't mind them being here and don't mind them eating duck feed, as long as my ducks are safe. Last year, the ducks became so friendly and enjoyed being fed, until it was time for her to set on the eggs. Throughout that time, the gander (?) always stayed within earshot of his lady but would come up to
20200204_085952.jpg
eat and socialize often. I took some pictures and will post some, but they looked healthy.

Although there is always the possibility of a problem, I would guess that the probability is minimal. Having the geese nest there may even provide a protection for your ducks .

Thank you for your time and input. This definitely makes me so hopeful that they'll choose our pond. I'm just starting to read up on geese and hope to add some this spring(domestic geese, of course). They're so beautiful. Thanks again

National poultry improvement plan says this.

"Poultry operations should have control measures to prevent contact with and protect poultry from wild birds, their feces and their feathers as appropriate to the production system. These procedures should be reviewed further during periods of heightened risks of disease transmission. Control programs for rodents, insects, and other animals should be in place and documented."

Maybe the risk is low but yeah there is a possibility they could get flu, pluoriam, typhoid or some other pathogen and you could lose ducks. It Is a personal choice.

I should probably look into ways to encourage them to move along, it seems. I definitely don't want my ducks and/or chickens (on the other side of the property) getting sick, or worse, dying. Thank you both

Is this the geese’s natural nesting site? They’ve come to for many years? What a shame to make them leave.

They have been nesting here for at least the past 5 years, maybe more. They're here again this morning. I don't know what to do. I hate to encourage them to leave because they're beautiful and seem to be getting along so well with my Flock

Back
Top Bottom