Any considerations for private egg selling?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by akcskye, Nov 19, 2007.

1. akcskye

akcskye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Being we have 10 hens now, we'll be getting 6 to 10 eggs a day next spring.

With a family of 4 and my immediate family being very few, we'll have many extras.

Are there any "ethics" or "considerations" to selling your eggs?

I mean, when you buy eggs in the store, they're graded and USDA inspected.

Are there requirements to private "manufacturers" for lack of better in the selling of their eggs at Farmer's Markets or street side?

I guess you could say I'm wanting to make sure my hiney is covered legally. LOL

Thanks!

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Well..I live in a VERY SMALL town. I took 15 dozen to the local grocery/gas station....and I sell them to employees at the wal mart...and family. I get about 2 dozen a day. So far...no complaints. Not sure how your local farmers market is...our is really laid back.

3. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I sell my eggs to a few customers that will kill for farm fresh eggs. They have memories of when they were young and their grandparents or parents raised chickens and love fresh eggs. One man I just got through a friend was actually travelling to another state for fresh eggs. I have a small flock and make no money on it but it buys a couple of bags of grain here and there and makes a few people happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by