Any coop ideas?

Debbie1

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 29, 2012
I'm back. I've been putting off getting chickens for three years now. This year I might do it. My main problem is getting a good coop built. Low cost and something easy. My carpenter skills are limited. I've been looking at kits and like the Chicken Saloon website. I can only have six hens where I live. Any thoughts?

Here's an old thread you may be interested in:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/755339/stay-away-from-chicken-saloon

I think all "kit" type coops will be disappointing in size, quality and ease of cleaning.

The price on the one for 6 chickens is over $500 without a run and likely not of adequate size. I would suggest you look for a local carpenter to build what you want and likely will get more for your money and a better home for your chickens.

Any Coop Ideas???

There are hundreds here.....just start reading!
big_smile.png

Don't underestimate your building abilities. A lot can be done with basic hand tools if you take your time and plan things out. Keep in mind that contrary to what you may see here where people are installing sheet rock interiors, tile floors, and chandeliers- chickens have a pretty low standard for what they will be happy in. They need protection from predators, drafts, and temperature extremes but beyond that they don't really care how perfect your carpentry is so long as it meets the criteria above. I would start simple and small if you are not confident in your construction abilities but I think almost anything you build will be better than the pre-fab coops which are small and flimsy.

If you are not terribly handy maybe you have a friend or family member who would be willing to help you? There are some great plans available for free or for a small fee if you really don't want to get outside your comfort zone. For a lot of us a pencil and a pad of paper is where our coops started. Sketching out the rough shape and dimensions then figuring out what lumber and materials you'll need to construct it.

If you have an architectural salvage store near you I highly recommend visiting them. I've gotten doors, windows, hinges, lumber, and even nails/screws for a fraction of retail by buying used.

Good luck whatever you decide.

B]
This is an extension to my little coop Built New laying box and used pvc to make a dome to keep my ladies happy and get some more in spring.

I have had my ladies for appx. A year and i coop keep my birds. This is an extension I have been building using pvc & wood& chainlink & any thing else I could find. Had to buy 25ft. Of chicken wire and some hinges. The Dibadome.

Back
Top Bottom