Any Crazy Crock Pot Lovin Chicken People out there? Post Recipes/Pics!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by JP101010, Dec 7, 2011.

1. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

hey everyone!
    Im newly in Love with my Crock Pot and im finding that there
    are tons of recipes out there , some without pictures [​IMG]
    I love Getting Recipes of of normal busy people because they dont make my head spin with 39 ingredients. Im sure in time ill build a supply of spices that i cannot even pronounce but for now i would love to see some easy / basic pics and recipes for slow cookin.
    i love to cook in mass so i have easy meals during the week!
    Also Crock pot tips are appreciated
    Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  2. Chickenpoor

Chickenpoor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2011
    Westminster, SC
    I like to cook pork roasts in my crock pot. I just place the roast in the crock pot with no water, put it on low, and let it cook all night. Then the next day I tear it up with a fork and either put BBQ sauce on it and have BBQ sandwhiches or I pour a can of cream of mushroom in it and eat it with rice and cornbread.

*** I know your probably thinking it would burn or something without putting water in it but believe it or not it want. While its cooking all the natural juices and fat cook out and it makes it more flavorful whereas if you had put water in it it would "water down" the flavors. A friend told me to do it like that one time and I have done it like that ever since.

*** If you dont like alot of grease/fat floating around in it you can skim it off which is what I always do. If I'm having it for supper that night and dont have the time to cool it and refrigerate it so I can get it out that way I put a big colinder(sp) in a bowl, feel the colinder with ice and pour the juices through the ice and as it goes through the fat will coagulate on the ice and the juice will go through. Then you can just put the juices back in the crock pot with the meat.

Try it and let me know what you think.

3. h4ppy-chris

h4ppy-chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    burnley, UK
    i love your way of cooking and this i have to try thanks for posting this [​IMG]

Quote:

4. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    E-Z P-Z Roast Chicken w/Stuffing:

-Put dry stuffing mix in the bottom of the crockpot
    (use boxed mix or make your own seasoned bread cubes with whatever veggies you like sauteed and mixed in, but no liquid needed)
    -Put a whole chicken on top of the mix and cook on Low for 8 hours.
    The juices from the chicken moisten the stuffing.
    It can be a little greasy this way, so you can remove the skin from the thighs/drumsticks only & add a cup of chicken broth. But leave the skin on the breast as it will keep it from drying out & moisten the stuffing.

Caveat:
    Don't try this with chicken breasts by themselves - not enough fat even with skin left on.
    I did this once, and years later my friends still tease me about my Wooden Chicken [​IMG]

Chili or spaghetti sauce in the crokcpot is simple too.
    Just brown the meat (I use ground turkey) and throw all your fixings into the crockpot.
    Cook on Low for 8 hours.

Same for pot roast.

Basically you use the crockpot the same way you'd use an oven, just adjust the amount of liquid, as like Chickenpoor says nothing evaporates and you end up with too much if you add.

5. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    I found a recipe for a new version of PORK AND BEANS in a magazine and just tried it.. YUMMY

First put a pork roast in the crock pot and put favorite flavor of BBQ sauce in -- I only used 1/2 of large bottle. Cook all day while unfortunates like me work.. come home, shred the pork roast, add drained kidney beans (I used two cans because we love them).. return to the crock pot to mix with BBQ sauce.. serve with fresh coleslaw, bread and waaaalaaaa. Wonderful.. and reheats well.

Keep the recipes coming.. I love trying new things

Shelly

6. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I am going to have to take pictures and post my next creation here! Should be soon too. [​IMG]

7. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Chickenpoor this sounds like an excellent idea , as sometimes i find myself adding flour to thicken non soup dishes! would it work with beef roasts?

2dogs Farm Thanks i was just wondering how i could is my stove top stuffing mix! would this work with a whole turkey?

Shellyga , I will try that but with chicken instead of pork [​IMG]

Vfem: Pictures!!![​IMG] I love picking recipes by browsing pictures!

8. jerryb

jerryb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Southern Michigan
    rather than adding flour, which often leaves the dish tasting like uncooked flour to me, I prefer to take equal amounts of flour and butter and cook them together in a small skillet or sauce pan until the flour just starts to color a bit. this is called a roux (pronounced roo) and is the best way to thicken a soup or sauce for my preference. You can cook the roux longer if you are using it in a stronger flavored dish or a dish with a darker color. try it, it will thicken just a well but will taste better.

now as for crock potting chicken I only use the crock pot to cook down whole chicken to make chicken and noodle or chicken and dumplings. just pop in a chicken add some water and seasoning of choice (I like celery flakes, salt and pepper) and go to work. come home make noodles and separate the meat, cook it all together.

Jerry

9. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Neat thread - i say keep the ideas coming! [​IMG]

10. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    Vegetable Burger Soup

1 lb lean ground beef
    1 16oz can diced tomatoes
    1 16oz can tomato sauce
    1 16oz package frozen mixed vegetables
    1 package dried onion soup mix
    2 TB sugar
    4 cups water
    potato – 1 or 2 diced

Brown beef, drain. Add rest of ingredients. Simmer for an hour or so or put in crock pot to cook on low all day.

Spicy Beef Stew – Crock pot

1 ½ to 2 lbs. stew beef, cut in 1-inch cubes
    4 med. potatoes, cubed
    4 med. carrots, sliced
    1 med. onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 cans tomato soup
    2 soup cans water
    1 c. red wine
    2 TB flour
    1 t. salt
    1 t. paprika
    1/4t. pepper
    1/2t. each oregano, basil, thyme, sage, marjoram
    1 TB Worcestershire sauce
    2 bay leaves

Coat beef cubes with flour, s&p, paprika. Put vegetables in crock pot, top with the beef cubes. Mix all the rest but the bay leaves, pour over meat and veg in pot. Stir in bay leaves. Cook 8-10 hours until all is tender.

Easy Crock Pot Pork Chops - an old favorite recipe - but a good one!

•6 to 8 lean pork chops, about 1 inch thick
    •1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    •2 teaspoons salt
    •1 (10 oz.) can chicken and rice soup or chicken and wild rice soup
    •1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
    •1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    •2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Preparation:
    Coat pork chops in mixture of the flour, salt, dry mustard and garlic powder. Brown in hot oil in skillet, turning to brown both sides. Place browned pork chops in crockpot. Add chicken and rice soup. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
    Serves 6 to 8.

Crock Pot Layered Pork Chop Dinner

thick pork chops, brown and drain, put in pot
    Stove Top for pork – mix up per pkg. directions, put on top of chops
    thin sliced apples on top of stuffing mix, top with brown sugar and butter pats
    Bake on low for 6 hours or more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by