Any Cuckoo Maran Rooster mutt offspring pictures?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KrystalRose, Nov 14, 2014.

1. KrystalRose

KrystalRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2014
    Finley, WA
    I have a couple cuckoo maran roosters with my hens. My hens are barred rock, Delaware, Easter Egger, Buff Orpington, and Black Australorp. Does anyone have pictures of mutt offspring from a cuckoo maran rooster? I have read that they mostly throw barred offspring but is that the rule or are their exceptions that look different from the black/white barred?

2. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

A cuckoo Marans cockerel should have two copies of the barring gene--all offspring will inherit one barring gene from the sire--so they will all be barred.

You can input your breeds into the chicken calculator to get a better idea of how it will work.

3. KrystalRose

Jun 28, 2014
    Finley, WA
    Here are the pics of the first 4 as best as I could get. Mom doesn't like cameras very much so I have to be sneaky. Chick 5 and 6 are still drying off under mom. None of these eggs were from an EE, so again dad was Cuckoo maran, moms could be BO, BA, BR, or DW. Curious how their feathering will come in in a couple weeks! So far they all look a little different. I will keep posting pictures in case anyone is interested in how they turn out, being that they have a dad with dominant barred gene and varying moms. Parents are all supposed to be pure breed from McMurray hatchery.

Chick 2 (on the left) Chick 1 (on the right) Any mom guesses?
    [​IMG]
    Chick 3 - hard to see but face has a lot of yellow and a some brown on wing tips. I am guessing a BO mom?
    [​IMG]
    Chick 4 - my lightest chick, she wouldn't let me get a face shot, but it is lighter than the body. I am guessing DW mom.
    [​IMG]

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How cute!

I agree the gold face is from the buff Orp hen. Those lighter chicks sure look blue-ish, but you don't have any birds that would make blue. Maybe white from the Delaware, I'm not sure what genetics lay behind them when mixing like this. It will be fun to see how they turn out. I love hatching mixed breed birds, just for the surprises!

5. KrystalRose

Jun 28, 2014
    Finley, WA
    Yep, I have two more that are darker than the darkest in the pictures I posted, they were the last to hatch, one looks much like the maran or barred rock looked at that age, the other has a dark beak and some dark on its feet, so I believe it has a Black Australorp mama.

6. KrystalRose

Jun 28, 2014
    Finley, WA
    [​IMG]

Hope you can see good enough, this picture is a little far away.

7. KrystalRose

Jun 28, 2014
    Finley, WA
    [​IMG]

8. KrystalRose

Jun 28, 2014
    Finley, WA
    Here are this weeks update pictures. Not sure if its the age differences or what but if I am using feather sexing, and the idea that girls feather faster than boys, then the first two born are girls and the rest are boys. But I have heard that feather sexing doesn't always work, especially with mutts, so we will see. They do have a wide range of mothers.

The three blackest ones were the last ones born, a few days behind the first one born.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by