Any cures for chick constipation?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Anna_MN, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Anna_MN

Anna_MN Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    My poor little EE chick is constipated! She is letting her wings hang low, she waddles more than she should, she can't run and when she tries to poop she peeps so loud and nothing comes out. Is there anything I can give her? Pumpkin? Please help- I don't want to lose her!

2. psycoforsilkies

psycoforsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2011
    East central Texas
    Hmm I give my babys if they are sick baby food, I wonder if prunes would work? Is she drinking enough? you can try to get her to drink more

3. Anna_MN

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    She won't drink for me! This is getting so sad and frustrating. She is such a sweet girl

4. psycoforsilkies

Oct 23, 2011
    East central Texas
    how are you trying to get her to drink? If you have a syringe or eyedroper, baby medicine dropper anything like that drop drops of water on her beak and usuall they will drink better than dipping the beak. Dont open the beak and drop it in, could go down wrong tube just keep trying dropinng on top of her beak. how old is she?

5. psycoforsilkies

Oct 23, 2011
    East central Texas
    Also make sure you have chick grit or sand in the brooder for her.

6. Anna_MN

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    Wow I am getting so many mixed opinions on baby grit! I posted earlier and some people said I needed it and some people didn't. She is about 3 1/2 days old

7. psycoforsilkies

Oct 23, 2011
    East central Texas
    You need it some chicks just need more than others.

8. Anna_MN

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    She's giving up! I have her in a warm water bath right now. I really hope she can pull through!

9. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
  10. psycoforsilkies

Oct 23, 2011
    East central Texas
    it is sad some even though they look perfect on the outside thier little insides are just not formed properly, i lost one the other day and it is sad, Just keep trying thats all you can do, make sure she is warm and keep her bottom clean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by