Any danger eating eggs from chickens treated with anti-pick meds?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by backintime, Feb 11, 2009.

1. backintime

backintime Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    I've kept Blu-Kote on my hen's bare patches for around 3 months now. (Culprit rooster was rehomed!)

Is there any danger of consuming eggs when a hen needs long-term use of an anti-pick medication?

2. natalie1136

natalie1136 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    Dennison Illinois
    I don't put anything on my chickens bare spots. The feathers come back in on there own. I don't think you can eat those eggs, while they are being treated.

Nataile

3. backintime

Apr 7, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    Natalie, the bare spot on my hen's head is pink and the other hens tend to peck her there if I don't keep it covered.

4. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

You can eat those eggs,, Blu-Kote will not get into the egg via blood stream..

Charlie

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

You're okay...Antipick is a topical treatment.

6. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    If you've used a lot of blu kote or anything else on a large area or over a long period of time it might be wise to get an opinion from a vet or a lab scientist.

I love blu-kote, and often use it on a small wound on a once or twice time basis, but you sound like you are talking about something different. And it DOES say all over the bottle "not to used on animals to be eaten" (Think they're Actually referring to horses raised for meat. . . )

Anyway, I sure don't have any expert knowledge on this one. Might be nice to find someone who does.

7. backintime

Apr 7, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    Would it be better to switch to Pick-no-More or some other product? My poor hen was in bad shape when I finally rehomed the roo, but I don't want to cull her if I can get her through to the next moult.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by