Any Day Now???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tallieb, Sep 3, 2009.

1. tallieb

tallieb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Arizona
    Today at lunch I went to check on my 18 week old chickens and to my surprise my old english banty was walking around flapping her butt and I could see her vent, as soon as she saw me she sucked it back in. I was really hoping that she would have laid an egg. Maybe when I get home from work. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  2. lbug

lbug Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    Danville, California
    Same here... my 21 week old pullets are not laying yet....

[​IMG]

3. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Should be soon, I would think. I'm still waiting for 12 more to start laying. Only 2 are now and it's not every day.

4. nature nut

nature nut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    Seems like each week waiting is a month doesn't it. I check the calendar every week and think "I know it's been longer than 7 weeks...8 weeks...10 weeks. The suspense is already killing me and I've still got months to wait. [​IMG] Maybe you'll go out and find a little surprise soon!

5. dldavis34

dldavis34 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2009
    Montrose, CO
    I got soo impatient with mine! I would check the calendar and counts their age every week and finally yesterday i got my very first egg from one of my 20 week old white rocks! I was so excited I made an idiot out of myself calling my family telling them that I finally got an egg! They laughed at me, but they don't understand how exciting it is when you have been waiting soooo long and finally you find one! It will happen soon to you and when it does it will be very exciting for you to find your first egg![​IMG]

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Two of my Leghorns started laying towards the end of their 20th week, by my calculations. I figured early September at the earliest, so immagine my surprise at August 28th -- less than a week after our first predator attack! I called my mom and she didn't even answer her phone!!! lol
    I knew that they were getting ready to lay because their combs grew and turned dark red all of a sudden. I started mixing layer crumbles in with the last bucket of their finisher pellets.

Now I'm getting impatient at the other two pullets since they're all the same age. Although, Queenie is a Redstar so I expected her to be different than the Leghorns.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by