Any DIY automatic coop door ideas?

birdbrain5

Songster
12 Years
Aug 2, 2010
Wondering if anyone has made their own automatic coop door? I see some for sale but I am wondering if there’s a way to make one DIY

There are at least a couple threads here on the do it yourself ways to make one.
Read thru this thread. Get ideas and opinions.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...r-cold-weather-and-predator-proofing.1510714/
Read this article.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/automatic-pop-hole-opener.48288/?page=2#ams-comment-523709
@Mouthpear is a member that can advise you on how to make one , and not for too much cash.
There are other threads, (where peeps made their own) but I just cant locate them right now.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Wondering if anyone has made their own automatic coop door? I see some for sale but I am wondering if there’s a way to make one DIY
I definitely say stay away from using a vehicle power antenna for a door. It's definitely a rap idea.

I have many stable, strong, economical ways of doing this. It just all depends on what you are looking for and what you are going to put it on. Of course your budget will have a lot to do with it.

This is the down and dirty simplest way to do it. I do not endorse daisy chaining but here it is nonetheless.

I highly recommend you use 2 SPDT timers and at least use lever snap wire nuts. Assortment on sale for $11.89 You don't have to buy as many as I do but if you do a lot of small wiring projects they come in handy.

Just got a restock today.
20230326_184539.jpg

If you have WiFi close and want to really take your wiring to a minimum, you can use a SONOFF on sale for $24.56 right now to use in setup or an MHCOZY for $24.90 to use in setup. I love both of these because they both are wifi, RF remote controllable, easy to mount, easy to wire, and the cost is not too bad. MHCOZY comes with remote (no battery) and the SONOFF does not.

That's it for now.

I definitely say stay away from using a vehicle power antenna for a door. It's definitely a rap idea.

I have many stable, strong, economical ways of doing this. It just all depends on what you are looking for and what you are going to put it on. Of course your budget will have a lot to do with it.

This is the down and dirty simplest way to do it. I do not endorse daisy chaining but here it is nonetheless.

I highly recommend you use 2 SPDT timers and at least use lever snap wire nuts. Assortment on sale for $11.89 You don't have to buy as many as I do but if you do a lot of small wiring projects they come in handy.

Just got a restock today.
View attachment 3445301

If you have WiFi close and want to really take your wiring to a minimum, you can use a SONOFF on sale for $24.56 right now to use in setup or an MHCOZY for $24.90 to use in setup. I love both of these because they both are wifi, RF remote controllable, easy to mount, easy to wire, and the cost is not too bad. MHCOZY comes with remote (no battery) and the SONOFF does not.

That's it for now.
LOL!!!

The junkyard car antenna worked well for us for over 5 years (including brutal Michigan winters).

I understand, if you can get the antenna from junkyard then just buy a $200 auto door off Amazon.

I understand, if you can get the antenna from junkyard then just buy a $200 auto door off Amazon.
Um. Just to get this straight... The person you are replying to clearly knows their stuff and makes their own doors well built and from the info they put out, they make then under 100clams. Why would they either go bottom of the bin to over priced commercial. No disrespect to the commercial ones tho.?

Back
Top Bottom