Any docs/ideas for big scar healing? :D (GRAPHIC PIC :))...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by booker81, Jul 18, 2010.

1. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Figured I'd throw it out there....can't get enough opinions!

I just had some mighty big knee surgery, and the surgeon did a lovely job of putting me back together, and I'd like to keep it that way. I've been looking at various things and ideas, but the main thing is I generally scar badly (keloids etc), and I want to avoid that if possible. Right now I have internal sutures and the mass steristrips (and a immobilizer on). I did FINALLY get a shower today, some gentle soap, rinse and pat dry, no steristrips came off.

I've read things like putting neosporin on daily, vitamin E etc, and most of the scar care things out there call for use AFTER there is a scar - like 3-6 months after the injury/surgery.

What can I do now that will help?

Stupid knees [​IMG] If this surgery works, I get to look forward to having the other knee redone as well. Among other issues, my kneecaps live about an inch or more higher than they are supposed to be.

My owie (thumbnail pic [​IMG] )
    [​IMG]

ETA: The little bandage is where they had pulled the drainage tube...I was still leaking a bit. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I would start putting vitamin E, etc. on it as soon as it is no longer an open wound. I recently had a mass removed from my neck and I was told the BEST way to get rid of excess scarring is to massage it 2-3X daily. I did that, and I can't tell where the scar is by feel anymore; worked amazingly well!

3. booker81

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    About how long was that? It barely seeps anything, and I've had the ok to shower, which tells me the risk of infection is low (I was on IV antibiotics as preventative for a few days). I'm not on abx now. Wednesday will be one week for it. I have Vit E capsules (the dog gets them, she can share). I'm just not sure when I can start treating it [​IMG]

4. azmotogirl

azmotogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    I have had 12 surgeries on my leg and I have used Mederma on several of the incision sites. It seemed to work really well. My scares are very flat and smooth. (I have had scaring trouble in the past and this was recommended by one of my Docs). Also, I was advised to stay out of the sun for at least one year. It causes the scaring to be worse for some reason. (also straight from my ortho Dr.). Happy healing and speedy recovery.[​IMG]

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    OMG [​IMG] It will look much better when it has some time to heal. Its amazing how fast it will look better than THAT!!!!!
    Hope you heal quickly and that it works perfectly [​IMG] I had surgery recently, and the surgeon told me to use aquaphor healing ointment. Vitamin E is always a GREAT healer though as suggested [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  6. booker81

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Quote:The Mederma site says to start it after sutures are removed....which mine are dissolving. Would I just guess the standard 10-14 days?

I do know about no sun - which is dandy by me. My legs don't need to see the light of day!

7. booker81

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Quote:Hee hee hee! I was pretty impressed with how it looked - at least I got out of it without staples! I didn't want those, and this surgeon is a fanatic about his scar appearances - I image it will look much better without blood crusted steristrips [​IMG] I WILL NOT peel them off, they will have to fall off on their own. The last surgery I had I was bad and peeled them off after a few days, and now I have a keloided scar about the size of a 50cent piece - it was supposed to be a scar from a scope for an appendectomy. Thankfully noone needs to see my belly either!.

8. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Quote:I started massaging it right after I got the sutures removed (7 days, I think), so I would start then! If it hurts a lot, go a little easier on it, but it should help speed up the healing, too.

I'm glad to hear that your dog will be willing to share the vitamin E capsules!! [​IMG]

9. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    I use emu oil to prevent scarring. Got bit in the face badly by a doberman. Cant see a trace of the wound and the stitches now. I added a few drops of lavender essential oil to the emu oil too. The emu oil I like best comes out of Montana and goes by the brand name Laid in Montana. Health food stores usually carry emu oil.

10. JetBlack

JetBlack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Neosporin works great for me. Back, in teh old job, I used to occasionally get bad chemical burns and neo worked really well. Keep it soaked in the stuff.

One of the lab guys raced motorcycles and he'd occasionally take a bad spill and get rolled beyond what his protectors could cover. He'd come in with it gooped on his scrapes and everything was *wet* with it. After it all healed, he didn't even have scars. Good luck with it. Looks painful and no knee injuries are fun. Go to all your physical therapy and you will be much better much faster. Yes, you will hate your therapist, with a burning passion, hotter than the sun, for the pain they cause you, but it really is "good for you".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by