Any EE cockerels? I hope so!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by groaners, Jul 27, 2010.

1. groaners

groaners Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2010
    Ferndale, CA
    My flock of EE's are about 8 weeks old now and there are two that seem "roo-ish"...I'm definitely hoping for one!!
    First is the only yellow legged bird who is MUCH bigger than the rest. Its tail is droopy and the comb is slightly larger, pinkish, and is clearly a pea comb while the others combs are less developed and look only like one raised line. Its coloring does not scream rooster though?... it is definitely the highest ranking of the bunch.
    That bird is in the front in this picture:
    [​IMG]
    The EE in the back is another possible cockerel. Its comb is pinker than the yellow leg bird but is a single row, doesnt look like a rose comb at least not yet (who knows? darn tricky EE's!) This one has darker bolder coloring and also acts in charge as well and these two birds have had some small squabbles already... it does not have much of a tail but the feathers seem to be slightly curved.
    neither have really pointed feathers but the yellow leg chicken seems to have pointier hackle feathers than the others...
    here is the one with yellow legs
    [​IMG]
    And both possible roo's???? are in the front here:
    [​IMG]
    I would love to hear some guesses! I love these birds...they have really great personalities and hopefully will be good layers if they're not roosters...but I am hoping for a rooster [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's a little early for EE's, they can be tricky to sex. But I'd say the one in the back in the first pic looks like a rooster (it has a straight comb as opposed to a pea comb) and maybe the gray one in the back in the last picture. The one in the front in the last picture may be as well. (comb looks pink and legs look thick) A couple more weeks and it should be more obvious.

3. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Sometimes EE roosters will start getting really rich bright colors, even before the saddle feathers start in. The girls generally stay a bit more muted.

4. groaners

May 19, 2010
    Ferndale, CA
    They are 12 weeks old now I believe...maybe 11...
    "Tumbleweed"
    [​IMG]

"Ever Clear"
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for the terrible picture on this one. It has slightly iridescent tail feathers.

"Saquaro"
    [​IMG]

Sorry no pic's of the combs. They all look about the same so they might all be pullets, even though I want a cockerel too!! [​IMG]
    What age to saddle feathers start coming in? Some of my pullets already started clucking.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Those all look like girls to me.

6. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    They all look like hens to me, you are probably safe to start looking for a rooster about the same age if you want one!

7. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    All girls in these pics...

8. trulynubians

trulynubians New Egg

May 28, 2010
    o.k. Now I'm all confused. What does having a straight or rose comb have to do with being either a pullet or a stag?That has to do with the breed nor the sex. The best way to tell is start watching the feathers over the lower back. Males have pointed feathers and females have rounded. Carolyn

9. groaners

May 19, 2010
    Ferndale, CA
    Quote:I have been told that at 8-13 weeks (or so...) EE cockerels are much more likely to have three rows of the (pea) comb more prominent, while the pullets will have the middle row prominent while the other rows are undeveloped at the point. That is my understanding only from what I've been told...I'm not an expert.

10. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Chickanmanfromarkansas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    All look like girls to me. I have about 25 to 30 Easter Egger pullets, and 2 about 6 months old and 8 or 9 1 month olds, all various colors. If you lived close I'd just give you one to go with them girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by