any egg carton method pics?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mom2Cool, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Hi all I was wondering if any of you have any good pics of the egg carton method? A while ago someone had a great pic up of how they had elevated one side & then they'd switch the elevation on the other side. So instead of raising the sides of incubator it was the egg carton that was raised on each sides. They used some kind of blocks on either side etc. I'd love to see a picture before I do this.

2. Chamelle

Chamelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Springfield, OR
    I have a couple of pics posted on my photobucket album... here you go!

[​IMG]

TURNED

[​IMG]

In this last pic you can see how I cut down the carton once I stop turning. (actually, I just get another carton ready and transfer the eggs.) I cut the sides down in case the chicks pip low on the side of the egg.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    But then you have to open the bator every day don't you?

Couldn't you use the carton and then put something under the bator?

Guess it doesn't matte for me, if my bator ever arrives I got the universal turner w/ 6 racks.

What on earth would I ever do if all 42 hatched out?

BUILD PENS AND BROODERS LIKE CRAZY!

4. texasbartrambaby

texasbartrambaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Tulia, Texas
    Hey I do *about* the same thing and so far, so good. Except I do not open the bator to turn my eggs. I do mine with a big, solid dictionary (hey, gotta use it for something [​IMG]) underneath the whole incubator, putting it under on one side and then later on the other. So far all my fertilized, not P.O. scrambled eggs are doing great. I am due on Friday. I use sponges for humidity - cutting one in half and keeping it wet seems to do me at 40% and I usually let it dry down to 20% or so. I read somewhere that your babies can drown easily in a foam bator like mine. The air cells seem to look ok. We'll see Friday! [​IMG]

5. Chamelle

Chamelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Springfield, OR
    Yeah, that's the downside... opening up the bator. I have really shallow water chanels so putting something under the whole bator would have meant me refilling the water more often than I'd like.

My ultimate solution was to get an auto-turner and I REALLY like it. I've had a much better hatch rate since I got the turner... but I did change a couple of other things as well, so I don't know how much of the improvement I can assign to the auto turner. Sure is a lot easier. [​IMG]

6. Mom2Cool

May 8, 2008
    Quote:Chamelle you rock! Thank you SO much this was great & yes exactly what I'd been looking looking looking for. I would imagine taking an egg out to candle would be a change in temp for it too but others seem to do it & still get a pretty good hatch & you looked like you'd had a good hatch there. And tilting the eggs carton I would think would work a lot quicker than turning every egg by hand. Thanks again this is great. This time I'm printing out the pics...

7. chubbydog811

chubbydog811 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    New Hampshire
    wow...glad I looked this up before I posted my own...This was exactly what I was looking to do with my eggs...great pics!

8. Mom2Cool

May 8, 2008
    they were really great pics & frankly I think this is something that should be kept on BYC some where for future reference because the pics were so good!

9. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Just FYI, opening the 'bator at least once a day to allow fresh air in is supposed to be good for them. Just don't let them get too cold, or forget about them. Pretend you're a broody getting off the nest to eat... [​IMG]

10. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:Up to Day 18 that is a very good way to turn eggs.

Please be aware that there is a great deal of controversy about the unproven benefits of using egg cartons for hatching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by