Any egg differences between RIR, Buff Orp and Black Sex-Link?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by freezefamilyfarm, Dec 9, 2010.

1. freezefamilyfarm

freezefamilyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    I have 4 BOs, one RIR and 1 BSL or black star along with a bunch of Easter Eggers. I know the BOs (at least 2 of them are laying) but I would like to know if the RIR and Black hen are as well. I have researched and know they all lay tinted to light brown eggs. But I thought you guys, with your hands on experience might be able to tell me if there were any differences in the eggs or maybe it just varies chicken to chicken. I've noticed some have light speckles on them and there are some shade variations as well.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    All three breeds lay eggs that are remarkably similar. The RIRs eggs may be slightly darker than the others, but under the bloom even that may not seem very noticeable. I've heard that you can put food coloring on their vents that will come off during egg laying to establish who is laying what, but I have never tried it to verify it.

Good luck.

3. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    I have RIR & Bo also and it is my experience that the RIR are slightly darker than the BOs. My BO eggs are typically a little bigger than the RIR. Usually not enough to bragg about though. Short of nest box traps I am unaware of an effective way to determine who is laying what. I guess a camera might work.

4. raspeary

raspeary Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Cortland New York
    i wouldn't say so. i have bo's and rirs and i can never tell what egg came from who look wise or taste wise.

5. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    It's pretty easy for me to tell, I have 4 BOs and 30+ RIRs. [​IMG]

6. freezefamilyfarm

freezefamilyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    Quote:I thought of trying some kind of marker! I've heard of chalking sheep to see who got bred. Funny! Now I have acquired Wyandottes and Delawares, so the plot thickens further...

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    When you're talking about hatchery based birds, no, there's no difference. The best thing to do is simply be there to know who of your hens lay what. I've got hatchery Wyandottes who lay quite the varied eggs, from a normal brown to a speckled to a pale pink. . . When in all reality, to the standard, a Wyandotte should lay a light brown/"pink" egg. Since hatcheries breed only for egg production, you can get a good variety from one breed.

Find out what yours lay, and that's basically it. . .

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

My BO's always laid more oblong, oval shaped eggs. My Red & Black Stars always laid more roundish eggs and they were somewhat darker.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by