1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any eggsperts want to answer some laying ???s (Just got 1st eggs too)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by guesswhatchickenbutt, Sep 7, 2009.

1. guesswhatchickenbutt

guesswhatchickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Central FL
    I have a BO, EE and a BR who are about 5 1/2 months old. Yesterday morning I found one small light brown egg in a nestbox. Yesterday afternoon I found another small light brown egg in the same nestbox. Today I found a THIRD small light brown egg in the nestbox! I am DYING to know who's laying what around here! I assume there is no way to tell, right?

I thought my EE would lay blue/green eggs, especially because she has very green legs, but I'm pretty sure she's one of the layers of these small brown eggs.

When will the eggs come up to their "real" size? These eggs are pretty small so far! I'm wondering if we'll get the typical sized eggs within days, weeks or months.

Also - this sounds dumb, but I'm dying to know. What's a chicken's routine when they lay? Do they just walk up, plop themselves in the nestbox, lay and egg and wander back outside or what? Do they linger in there and sit on it for awhile??? It is way too hot outside for me to linger in the yard for hours wondering what the chickens are doing and I can't see what's going on in the nestbox area unless I open the little nestbox doors. I guess I was hoping to find out what a chicken does typically when she lays...

2. 4boysmom

4boysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Your EE may not have started laying yet.....so you may still get a blue egg.

They will lay approx 1 egg per day - could skip a day, since it's technically every 25 hours or so.

My hens hop on the perch, sing a little bit, go in, root around a little, sit a little, root around a little more & finally lay. I don't believe they leave right away, but they'll leave after a little bit.

I know others will know more, but thought I'd pitch in

3. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    yay for your laying gals!!

a few thoughts:

I am DYING to know who's laying what around here! I assume there is no way to tell, right?
    *** just watch who does what and check the nest boxes often; take the eggs out then go and check who is in there next. process of elimination unless you catch one in the act

When will the eggs come up to their "real" size? These eggs are pretty small so far! I'm wondering if we'll get the typical sized eggs within days, weeks or months.
    *** the pullet eggs will come up to size in a weekish or so. they do that again when they come off their molt. i love the ittybitty eggs! we got one the size of a nickle one time
    :)

What's a chicken's routine when they lay?
    *** depend on the gal. sometimes they lollygag around, or built a bit of a nest, or sometimes they look like they are sleeping... and sometimes there is a LOT of squawking - the 'hey look at me! look what i did.' and you'll get different reactions if you try to reach under the hen to see if she's laid yet.

when it cools down you might have a better idea of whats going on

isnt it fun!!!?!?

:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by