Any english bulldog name suggestions? Photo on 2nd page

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by reveriereptile, May 23, 2010.

1. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    I've been looking around and actually found a couple of people that are close with some puppies. I've gotten a hold of one that still has a AKC female that will be ready to take home about the middle of June. The woman also owns both parents. I've looked up information on them different times over the years since I've always wanted one but most sites say the same stuff. So I wouldn't mind some advice from people that had hands-on experience or pictures of theirs. I love pictures.

Here is some stuff I do know about them from what I've read. I know there are things missing but this is just stuff that I remembered at the moment.

1. They need their wrinkles/folds cleaned daily with a damp wash cloth with shampoo. I couldn't find out if it was dry shampoo or regular shampoo.
    2. Corn stratch helps keep the skin dry to help avoid infections but becareful for irritation to stratch.
    3. They overheat extremely easy (80 degrees and up) and are cold sensitive.
    4. For breeding they need to be artificially breed, vet checked before impregnating, ultrasounds, and c-sections. Also to make sure to breed best quality to help avoid health problems. Mother will have to be supervised with puppies almost 24/7 (avoid crushing a puppy) and helped with first feeding. Be perpared for bottle feeding incase mother doesn't have milk. Heard that the breeding costs usually run $2,000-$3,000 for everything. Wasn't sure if that was the average amount.
    5. When buying a new puppy to watch out for "cheap deals". The ones I'm looking at are around $2K. Make sure I pick one suitable for my personality/lifestyle.
    6. Wait one week before collar and leash training. Start with a collar before harness due to the different pulling on the body to help avoid confussion.
    7. Crate train with a wire crate. Take outside right after taking them out of the crate and place them in the same spot for potty while praising them when they go. Also do not give treats to reward or they will need to potty again.
    8. No bones, raw hides, or other items/toys they may choke on.
    9. Do not leave food available at all times and take puppy outside 10-15 minutes after eating.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  2. lasergrl

lasergrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Middlefield Ohio
    I would avoid one with a curly tail as that often gets irritated or curvs back into the dog causing extreme dicomfort. Completely disregard one with inverted, tight, or corkscrew tails especially if your planning to breed.
    http://www.bulldogrescue.co.uk/health.htm

They often can mate naturally, its just the delivery. Some can deliver naturally if a large litter with smaller pups.

3. reveriereptile

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    Thanks for the link. That was very helpful. Does anyone know how you check to make sure a dog is registered and medicial history or information on the parents? There is a breeder in Canada that is willing to meet me in NY if I'm interested in a 11 week old registered female for $1,500. I want to check out the parents before considering to buy. Especially to make sure it isn't a scam and that I'm not buying a puppy with a ton of medicial problems. I am going to also see if the puppies are registered in the American or Alberta Kennel Club.

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  4. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    I think their is a Canadian Kennel Club. The breeder should be able to give you registration #s for the dam and sire of the litter you are interested in and you can look them up on line. You can also google their kennel name.

Medical history is a lot trickier and you generally have to rely on the honesty of the breeder. Sadly I have not had very good luck with this. A lot of breeders tend to rationalize problems with their dogs.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  5. reveriereptile

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    The breeder said they are American registered. I've also received pictures of the other female from the other breeder that is only 15 minutes from me that has a female left. She had pictures of both parents and current pictures of the puppy. The parents looked very healthy and the mother was beautiful. I'm still talking back and forth between the two before picking. I may try to go look at the one close to me since she doesn't have to drive across the border.

6. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    I would never use a collar. They are a brachycephalic breed and a collar will put undue stress on thier windpipe.

7. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    I know several people who train English Bulldogs for obedience and they use a collar just fine. There is so much thick neck there I don't think a collar has much effect on the wind pipe.

8. only one lay

only one lay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    litchfield mi
    Having lost my tessa just over a year ago I will say to pick carefully for the same health issues you are reading about . Believe the rawhide food things. Surgery to remove foil ball the sons were throwing around and left out, off of meat in the fridge. They will swallow anything whole. Teething was worse than other breeds I have had.The slow sleeping thing starts at about 18 months- until than its mach1
    [​IMG]

They are also very receptive to clicker training and will not be ignored.
    you mentioned no breeders by name so this is just quiet advice- visit the house if possible or get nad call references. pics are great but can be decieveing. Alot of money and heartache avoided by doing homework.

9. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    I HIGHLY recommend reading everything on this page before you select a breeder: http://thebca.org/Bulldog%20Education.html

The
    fact that both the people you're talking to have puppies ready to go now is suspicious to me-most responsible breeders have homes lined up for puppies before the litter is even born.

10. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Are you planning on breeding your dog once you get her? Otherwise the information you posted is pretty much correct except for cleaning the wrinkles daily-- that is an individual dog thing, not a blanket rule for all bulldogs. If you see the folds staying moist and/or an odor to the head then you can clean other wise I would leave them along. Why? Because introducing moisture to the folds daily might cause more problems if there wasn't a problem before. Also bulldogs tend to have very sensitive skin so I would ask your breeders if their breeding stock has allergies. Run if they say yes! Allergies on a smooshed face dog is hard to deal with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by