Any ever used Homestead brand feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Andora, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I've been buying feed from TSC, the only brand they carry is Dumor. But I read it wasn't that great of a feed, so I found a local feed store (the only one that sells chicken feed!!) and bought what they had. It's Homestead layer crumbles, made by Hubbard feeds. I trust this feed store because they sell feed to all of the multi-million dollar horse farms around here, but I'm curious if anyone else has ever used Homestead feed and what you thought of it? My birds are going wild over it.

2. sovia

sovia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Black Hills of SD
    I echo the same question. I have been using Purina Layena, but I am having problems with a few of my hens beginning to peck at feathers. It was suggested that there might not be enough protein. I have been told that the Homestead has animal protein so I am going to give it a shot. I hope it works!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sorry, I dont know about Homestead, but since so many feeds went vegetarian, many people have feather picking issues. I use feeds from ADM Alliance and Faithway, which contain quality animal proteins. I have used Purina layer feed on occasion, but it's more expensive and I cant justify paying the price since it's $15/50# and the Faithway is $10/50#.

4. Andora

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    The homestead feed was only $11 for a 50 pound bag. It says all natural on it, I don't think it has animal proteins but I could be wrong. If you feed scrambled eggs as a treat regularly, does that include animal protein? Mine have never had feather picking issues!

5. speckledhen

Yes, eggs are animal protein. I looked up Homestead and they are only in Canada and NY, right? No wonder I haven't seen it.

6. Andora

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I live in Kentucky and they sell it at a local feed store here.

7. speckledhen

Hmm, maybe that Homestead is a different one or they're much further south than the website said. I like having more options in feed, so I'll look for it around here.

8. speckledhen

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  9. sovia

sovia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Black Hills of SD
    SpeckledHen is right - there are no animal proteins in it. I had the Traditional and Homestead feeds by Hubbard mixed up. In any case, my husband just brought home a bag of Homestead crumbles (I hate crumbles!) Anyhow, it does have 1% more protein than the Purina Layena that I was using. I sure hope this helps with the feather picking issues I have had with my flock.

By the way, we paid $13 for a 50# bag here in western South Dakota!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  10. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    I use Homestead here in MN. I find it cheaper than the alternatives, and it seems to have good amount of protein.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by