Any experience or recommendations with the Sym Coop in Portland Oregon?

zinnia5117

Chirping
Jul 10, 2018
West Linn, OR
Hi everyone,
I’m starting to seriously get ready to build a coop. I like the idea of the “Sym Coop” design from “Reinventing the Chicken Coop”. There is a link that shows pictures.

http://newfactory.com/sym/

My one concern is that I bet it gets a bit colder up here in the Portland (OR) area than in San Francisco where it was designed and I am not sure if this would provide enough protection for chickens on our colder days. Any insights or ideas for how to modify the basic idea to work for coldish weather would be appreciated!

How cold does it get for you? Cold is probably less of an issue than drafts or rain getting in with this design. The easiest "fix" would be to make removable panels that could cover up some of the sides during bad weather (semi transparent panels like you see in a greenhouse would work, or plywood, or even clear plastic sheets).

Personally I don't love it - it looks stylish for an urban setting but it's set up more like a hamster cage than a chicken coop and both ramps look a bit steep. I'd rather have something less "pretty" and more functional. I have no problem making nice compost using a more standard coop and run set up. How many chickens were you hoping to get?

Back
Top Bottom