Any experience with Country Hatchery?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Holmes' Homestead, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Holmes' Homestead

Holmes' Homestead Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2010
    Schuylerville NY
    Greetings everyone,

I'm new here, we don't have any chickens yet, but I've been doing some research and am looking for some help. My wife and I are looking to purchase about 25 hens, with a few Guinea Fowl mixed in (we have a horrible tick problem), and I've been researching different hatcheries. I was interested in Country Hatchery in Oklahoma, but I believe I read somewhere on this forum that they're not in business anymore. Is that true? They don't have the selection like some hatcheries do, but I like the fact that they're a smaller operation and they "do everything as chemical free as the State of Oklahoma will allow us". I read on their site that his two sons were taking over, is that still the case? If it is true they are closing down, I guess it's back to searching for a supplier. We're not looking for anything exotic right now since we're just starting out. Besides Guineas, I'm thinking about Silver Laced Wyandottes, and Buff Orpingtons, both for their egg laying capabilities and cold heartiness ( we live in upstate NY). I still have some research to do, but any news on Country Hatchery is much appreciated.

I look forward to becoming a part of this board, as there seems to be a wealth of knowledge here. Thanks in advance for any information!

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    [​IMG]

Well, they seem reputable from their website - When I ordered from a hatchery, I looked for one closer to my house so they didn't have to be too exposed too long. Not sure if that makes a difference.

I'm in Orange County!

3. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    I have bought from them and liked the muscovies that I got. I emailed him last month to ask what was going on since I got a flyer. I too had heard that he had retired. He had planned to but his sons wanted to continue. If you are wanting average garden variety chickens and guineas, go with someone closer. BUT, if you are wanting beautiful muscovies, order from him. He is the only one I know of who ships colored muscovies. We love our ducks and they do great in cold weather.

4. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    Holmes' Homestead :

Greetings everyone,

I'm new here, we don't have any chickens yet, but I've been doing some research and am looking for some help. My wife and I are looking to purchase about 25 hens, with a few Guinea Fowl mixed in (we have a horrible tick problem), and I've been researching different hatcheries. I was interested in Country Hatchery in Oklahoma, but I believe I read somewhere on this forum that they're not in business anymore. Is that true? They don't have the selection like some hatcheries do, but I like the fact that they're a smaller operation and they "do everything as chemical free as the State of Oklahoma will allow us". I read on their site that his two sons were taking over, is that still the case? If it is true they are closing down, I guess it's back to searching for a supplier. We're not looking for anything exotic right now since we're just starting out. Besides Guineas, I'm thinking about Silver Laced Wyandottes, and Buff Orpingtons, both for their egg laying capabilities and cold heartiness ( we live in upstate NY). I still have some research to do, but any news on Country Hatchery is much appreciated.

I look forward to becoming a part of this board, as there seems to be a wealth of knowledge here. Thanks in advance for any information!

[​IMG] Where are you from? I live in the Choctaw/harrah area.
    You might try posting and asking on the Okies in the BYC thread. I know at one time, one of our guys there was gonna supply some of the eggs for the hatchery but I haven't heard it mentioned in a while.
    Not ssure if it is open or not.
    Monty​

5. Holmes' Homestead

Holmes' Homestead Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2010
    Schuylerville NY
    I live near Saratoga Springs, NY. I've thought about looking for a place closer to home than Oklahoma, I'm concerned about the traveling time for the pullets.

6. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    I checked with some peole and they say that it is supposed to be open.

7. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    I live in Alaska, which is atleast as far from Oklahoma as you are and my ducks came in pretty good shape. I lost one of the ducks, it was DOA, but otherwise the others were hale and hardy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by