Any experience with plastic sheds?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by astatula, Apr 9, 2009.

1. astatula

astatula Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Astatula
    I am about to purchase a 6x8 plastic shed to convert into a coop. Are there obvious issues I should pay more attention to like humidity or ventilation? I would also like to know if people have had success converting these plastic sheds into a coop.

I am looking for answers to how to put in windows and ventilation, as well as floor considerations, this shed has one of those puzzle-locking rubber floors.

Here is the listing on craigslist if you want a picture of it. http://lakeland.craigslist.org/for/1111542056.html

2. ChickieKeeta

ChickieKeeta C'mon C'mere Fluffa Feathers

Feb 16, 2009
    Cumberland County NJ
    I have an 8 by 12 1/2 resin shed as a coop. There are two vents just under the roof front & back. It also has a window that opens. My son screwed hardware cloth over the window. The floor is installed & I have had no problem with the deep litter method. I did use a heat lamp in the winter.

The chickens roost on an upside down large sturdy ferret cage. The doors have been removed from the cage. I have pet carriers on the 2 lower levels as nesting boxes. I have a tray from a dog crate over the nesting boxes, under the roost. I clean the poo every 1 or 2 days into the compost pile.

My chickens have done well for a year in there so far. This is the only photo I have uploaded. I can post more after I get home.

[​IMG]

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    You'll have to cut some openings for windows and/or ventilation openings, and a pophole, but plenty of people use that sort of shed for coops. Mark where you want the opening to be, drill holes in the corners, then use a power jigsaw (with a relatively fine-toothed blade, and a steady firm hand) to cut the opening from hole to hole to hole to hole. To affix things into the plastic (e.g. trimming out openings, and pophole door and ventilation-closing flaps) you are likely to want to put a piece of wood on the other side to screw or bolt through into.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. astatula

Mar 19, 2009
    Astatula
    Thanks for the wood suggestion, I was wondering what to do to attach the chicken door and the windows and to keep them secure. That will work.

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I take the glass out of the windows once it warms up in the summer and put hardware cloth in. I have openings on both sides for them to come and go to their runs and also when they free range I leave the door open.

In the winter it seems to stay pretty well insulated, though I did have to fill all of the cracks where it assembles at the corners with that foam spray.

6. astatula

Mar 19, 2009
    Astatula
    KG13, can you post a picture of the inside of your shed/coop. I want to see if I can get some ideas about the nesting boxes and roost from your design. Thanks, Ron

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by