Any experienced cross-breeders in here? :)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Clov3r, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Clov3r

Clov3r Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2016
    Palo Pinto County, Texas
    I have an Easter Egger rooster. I was curious if there's any particular outcome I can expect when breeding him to my purebred hens. I ended up with 2 oddball/mixed roosters because I did some people some favors (heh), but we're slowly establishing a mini farm (2 acres: rabbits, chickens, goats, produce, and honey), so the plan is to sell excess eggs and/or chickens at market.

So, he's an EE.
    I'm curious to know what I'd have if I crossed the EE with:

Buff Orpington Hens
    Plymouth Barred Rock Hens
    Silver Laced Wyandotte Hens
    Red Sex Link Hens (I know they're already a cross--- I have two accidental sex links that were mixed into my buff orps when I got them).

Any reliable outcomes? Links?

Thanks y'all! I love this website...

2. puffypoo22

puffypoo22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2015
    Massachussetts
    I am not a breeder (no roosters :,c), but I think I could help. [​IMG]
    What color is your EE? Does he have a beard? Since they are mixed then I have no idea of his appearance.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  3. Clov3r

May 11, 2016
    Palo Pinto County, Texas
    This is him. (There are going to photos of Logan all over these forums by the time I'm finished here...). Haha.

He came from a group of farm-laid-classroom-hatched EE's that I bought from a coworker when they were a few days old. They were gifts for my parents (a neighbor dog destroyed their flock), but Logan had a grudge against my toddler nephew, so they couldn't keep him on their property anymore.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    There is no predictable color outcome featherwise or egg.

5. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Actually there is one outcome you can be certain of - any chicks out of that rooster and your barred rock hens will be black sex links. Females will not be barred and males will. Males will hatch with a white head spot and females will not have one.

1 person likes this.
  6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    With the barred Rock hens, he will produce black sexlinks. With the Silver Laced Wyandottes, he would produce non-typical red sexlinks, may not be sexable at hatch, but as they feather in it will be pretty obvious. The Buff Orpingtons and Red Sexlinks will produce similar buff/gold/red chicks. If he ends up being pure for the blue eggshell gene, then all his female chicks should lay blue/green eggs.

7. Clov3r

May 11, 2016
    Palo Pinto County, Texas

I don't suppose there's any way to know eggshell gene? Wait and see what I get? :p

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Yep. If all his female chicks lay blue/green then he is pure for the blue eggshell gene. If only about half lay blue/green, then he only has one gene.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by