Any experts want to weigh in on my new pair of Marans?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kaceyx73, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Kaceyx73

Kaceyx73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2010
    Hello all.

I just picked up a pair of Marans yesterday, and was wondering what some of the experts think of them, especially the rooster. All responses are welcome, but understand I am not looking specifically for show birds. I wanted them primarily for their original intent... beautiful eggs and wonderful meat. I do want them as well bred as possible, so a simple problem like eye color not the perfect shade or an extra point or 2 on the comb aren't as big of a deal to me. If I have the genetics to work with and get it all right, I will.

So here goes.

This is Lucian, an 8 month old Copper Blue Marans. Around him you can see Selene, a 1 year old Copper Black Marans hen. As I was told, Lucian's is lineage is from Whitmire Farms, though that's not where I got him. I'm still learning a lot of the technical terms, so be gentle please. lol

He does have the feathered shanks, while the hen does not. Both have darker eyes, and appear dark hazel up close. There eyes are much bigger than the birds have had before. Comb looks good to my untrained eyes, as does shape, though again I'm not fully up on some of the technical jargon. Legs are strong and thick, though the specs mention they shouldn't be too long. Comments? As for his color, again, it looks great to me, but I would like to hear from the experts. He does appear a little slim, and a bit narrow across the chest, but roos I have had before do tend to fill out later on. He's 8 months, and I have been told that most Marans now develop a little slower. ???

If anyone wants any additional info, just ask. Just got him, so I don't have tons of pics yet, if any feels a certain angle would be better, say so.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have posted these pics in a couple of places. Sorry, just trying to find the right place to post to be seen.

Ken

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    He's incredibly leggy, almost like a Langshan. His tail could be lower set, he could have a broader, more meaty body and especially chest/shoulders. His legs could definitely shorten but keep good strength. Same with the hen. It may be his tail, but his back seems kinda short. Color is nice. Really the main thing I'd worry about if I were you are those legs.

3. Kaceyx73

Kaceyx73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2010
    Thanks Illia. Yeah, I was wondering about those legs. My old flock manager, Vic, was a black tail buff Marans, and was definitely much shorter. He wasn't show quality, not even likely pure bred, and likely a cull from someones breeding project. He was a stunning boy, nonetheless. I will miss him, but he will live on as my avatar on here.

Here are a couple of pics of him. Not really asking for a critique of him, just making sure I understand the correct body shape and posture needed for Marans before I go crazy thinking I gotta a show stopper.

[​IMG]

This is probably the earliest pic I have of him, last summer before the girls even came into the coop. He was supposed to be about 8 months then. Looking back, I realize he seems to fit the growth habit I had always heard about in Marans... that the grow faster than most hatchery birds. I here from breeders now that they actually mature slower than most hatchery birds. Vic was already broad breasted at 8 months whereas Lucian grew tall but hasn't filled out yet. Is this different lineages, or is this more common, and is it something that might affect genetics? Anybody?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And before everyone points it out, he has white earlobes, too many points, side spurs, no shank feathering, and so on... Still was a gorgeous bird and absolute perfect flock manager. Again, just trying to do a comparison of body types so I'll know.

4. chevgrl

chevgrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2011
    Western Iowa
  5. edgarmongold

edgarmongold Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Shows too much Langshan influence.

Marans tail angle should be 45 degrees.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by