Any extra heat during the winter?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Coexist, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Coexist

Coexist New Egg

Jul 31, 2014
    So as it gets more and more chilly, are you supposed to use any additional heating with the chickens. I've been setting up some heating lamps (the kind for baby chicks) and the bulbs go out every two weeks. It's frustrating but I worry about my chickens getting too cold. How much cold can they handle?

2. Coexist

Coexist New Egg

Jul 31, 2014
    Thank you. Lots of good information there. Now I won't have to buy bulbs constantly. Still not sure why they were going out so fast. I kept having nightmares of my chickens freezing to death. I know, weird. lol

3. whittychick

whittychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    Chickens are very hearty birds and can survive the cold. Dry, cold, non drafty habitat. My girls love the snow and enjoy going outside no matter what. I did put up a tarp to block wind but never heated my coop. If the power goes out and they are used to heat, your birds could die within hours. I live in New England and it gets colddddd. They all laid this past winter and I fed them warm oatmeal on cold cold days to warm their bellies. They will survive! Hot climate is actually worse, causes dampness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by