Any favorite home remedies with goats/pets that are helpful?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickylou, Mar 30, 2009.

1. chickylou

chickylou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you would contribute some of your favorite tips and ideas about home remedies for goats?

I was wondering about apple cider vinegar and its benefits, but are there any others out there?

I would love to hear about them.[​IMG]

Thanks so much!

2. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    I had Pygmy goats and one was always eating something she shouldn't have. I could never figure out what it was. Still to this day I have no idea.
    One night she was very sick, trying to throw up and Goats don't throw up. I called my Vet and he said if you are 100% positive it is something the goat ate, there is a simple home remedy.

You need a turkey baster, then mix cold tea and Pepto Bismal (or equivalent) together (1-1) and squirt it down the goats mouth.

Try to get in about 1/2 cup and wait 15 minutes and try to get in another 1/2 cup, wait 1/2 hour try another 1/2 cup.
    Leave them for a hour and if it is a bad tummy then the goat should be feeling better, if it is not better, call the Vet!

The Vet told me the cold tea and Pepto Bismal settles the juices in the ruman down and adjusts them back to the proper PH.

Worked like a charm but you will need two people to do this, goats are incredibly strong.
    This Goat died of old age and had many tummy aches over the years. She was quite the character and we loved her dearly.

3. Goattalker

Goattalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Apple cider vinegar is great for keeping the algae down in your water troughs, and that's it. There are not a lot things in the cupboard that will help your goat in a pinch. Cooked old fashioned oat meal can be pureed (about a teaspoon) and be added to a bottle babies milk to help firm stools. Sweetened kool aid, apple juice, beer. may make them drink more, but that's about all I use from the kitchen.

4. MammaBear

MammaBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    SW PA
    Raspberry bushes work wonders for diarrhea.
    Got to keep Pepto on hand at all times!!!!
    Got to keep Baby liquid gas remedy on hand for kids.
    GasX liquigels for the adult goats.

5. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    I have used corn syrup (kyro), molasses, sugar water, gatorade for quick pick em ups for calves, kids, and adult goats.

Molasses also has a bit of iron in it to, so good for goats a dose would get you through the night probably.

6. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I use milk of magnesia for diarrhea . Also, stressed or sick goats get a drench made of equal parts molasses, corn syrup like karo, and corn oil. They love it. Sick goats should be taken off pellets and put on a diet of leaves, something they love to eat anyways.

7. Hucklekree

Hucklekree Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2011
    Enumclaw
    Things in my cupboard that have been found to be useful in a pinch:

Pepto Bismal
    Milk of Magnesia/Imodium A-D
    Liquid Calcium-calcium supplement in liquid form
    Garlic
    Yogurt
    Oatmeal
    Molasses
    Gatorade!

8. nightowl223

nightowl223 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    United States
    I am a new goat owner, and she seems to have either gotten stress-related diarrhea or it's from a change in her diet. I've been giving her pepto-bismol like I read should be done, and am wondering how long to wait to hope to see results. She's been getting it every 2 hours, also from suggestions online.
    Got her yesterday, not even sure what breed she mostly is (I'm sure she's a mixed breed, but I'm clueless about breeds). She's small, about 2 1/2 ft tall.
    She had a nearly 3 hour trip home, so I know she's gotta be stressed. The diarrhea started this morning.
    I got her from the Jacob's Cave Swap Meet over the weekend. Was told she's about 2 1/2 years old.
    Any more suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by