1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any fermentation fans (fanatics?) here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by FoodFreedomNow, Oct 7, 2016.

1. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I ferment my chicken and duck feed, but I also enjoy fermenting for human consumption. Currently, I have the following ferments going: water kefir, milk kefir, (regular) kombucha tea, yerba mate kombucha tea, and lacto-fermented poblano peppers. I also have lacto-fermented jalapeƱo peppers and sauerkraut, finished, in the fridge. New projects include berry wine and a dark beer in primary ferment. Oh, and sourdough starter being fed daily on the counter.

Anyone else doing ferments? BTW, the chickens enjoy the fruit left over after straining the kefir and kombucha second ferments, as well as the extra kombucha scobies, too!

2. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Holy moly you weren't kidding when you said you ferment stuff!
    I make ginger beer with a starter that I feed every day with sugar and every week with grated ginger. My parents love it.
    My dad also does sourdough but that's his area[​IMG]

3. FoodFreedomNow

LOL...yeah, it's out of control. [​IMG] I've thought about starting a ginger bug, but find that sometimes fresh ginger is difficult to find around here. Plus, I already feed water kefir grains daily (and others cultures less frequently). I like using fresh ginger for a water kefir second ferment, and it tastes a bit like ginger ale. What does the ginger beer taste like?

4. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Like ginger ale but I depends on how much ginger you use. I like it knock your socks off strong [​IMG]
    It gets very bubbly too

5. FoodFreedomNow

Sounds tasty! I like a good ginger bite in my beverages, too.

It's been cooler weather here the last couple of days and the sourdough starter isn't pleased. I put it near a window where the suns shines in at midday, and it finally perked back up. When it's warm, it gets really active...like bubbling out of the jar. I think it's trying to escape. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  6. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Lol
    My bug doesn't like the sun[​IMG]

7. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Sorry it's kinda dark

8. FoodFreedomNow

Looks cool [​IMG]

9. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    From an hour ago
    Its got brewers yeast in but the yeast is very old so[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    ps: Theres actually quite a bit in there but it doesnt look like it coz its a deep bucket

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by