Any fly tying folk out there?

Quote:
My Brother is into it heavily-He has made a career out of it and has done very well for himself. To me he's just my little brother with a hobby that he has done since childhood but to him-it was his dream. He owns his own little fly tying shop off of his house and people are ALWAYS there-watching him-buying from him etc.. He goes to shows all the time-people wait in line for the chance to be given one of his fly's!!!! It pretty funny to me Vincent Wilcox? Ring any bells

Wileys flies
smile.png

Quote:
thats my brother! LOL lives 5 miles from me
hugs.gif
Wiley was actually the name of our hunting dog-greatest dog ever-lived to be 19 yrs. My dad used to answer the phone -for at least 10 years-"Wileys flys"-how can I help you? used to throw everyone off and there was no such shop in existence at that time!

Last edited:
I'm an avid fly-tier. kstaven, I'm curious, what do you tie with stray chicken feathers? I'm always amazed at the resourcefulness of fly tiers to co-opt just about anything into a fly. My girls are finishing their molt and I'll have to collect some up. When I had cats I used to use bits of their fur to make hare's ears that were really killer on trout in the northern part of our state.

I use stray feathers for extra body in dubbing. Wing feathers: Take slips for wings, use individual quills for legs, antenna, grab a bunch of the quills and tie them down for wing casings (can be coated with clear nail polish, head cement, epoxy or clear scud dependent on the effect you want). Body feathers can be stripped and used for a marabou type effect. The list goes on and on. Tail feathers you can use for mated slips for matched sets of wings on flys.

234_hpnx0170.jpg

Yes...The body is braided.

Quote:
hugs.gif
Wiley was actually the name of our hunting dog-greatest dog ever-lived to be 19 yrs. My dad used to answer the phone -for at least 10 years-"Wileys flys"-how can I help you? used to throw everyone off and there was no such shop in existence at that time!

Have read a few of his articles. He should come out this way for some good BC fishing. 3rd Annual Kettle valley float tour in June hosted by the Kettle, Granby, Boundary Fly Club.. 3 days on three of the best rivers in the Boundary.

Quote:
hugs.gif

Have read a few of his articles. He should come out this way for some good BC fishing. 3rd Annual Kettle valley float tour in June hosted by the Kettle, Granby, Boundary Fly Club.. 3 days on three of the best rivers in the Boundary.

He would love to travel but he can't as much now because of his heart condition-poor boy had open heart surgery when he was 3 and then the day he got home from his honeymoon at age 27? had a heart attack. So he has to stay farely close to home and his docs
sad.png
He does do alot of small day excursions taking people fishing-in some local secret spots-but hey Ill tell him you said that!

Last edited:
I used to do this with my grandfather and wish I still did. I've thought a lot about doing it again the past few years. Last one I tied was like 16 years ago.

Quote:
the skills for it runs in my family but alas..its been 15+ since Ive tried it!!! I do like to hang once in a while to watch my bro though
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom