Any food I can give my chickens that will decrease watery poop?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by farmerinKC, Aug 18, 2011.

1. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I know a certain amount of watery poop is normal-and yes, I have looked at the very popular poop chart. I was just wondering if there was a certain food that would lessen the frequency. I have sand in the run that I scoop a couple times a day and let's just say the fewer watery poops the better! [​IMG]

2. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

Cut down on the amt of fruit and veggies they eat?

I know when I give them too much they get runny/watery poos and they do much better with less treats and more real feed.

3. auntie hattie

auntie hattie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    I'm in the same situation. I think it is because I give mine to many treats. I'm sure the very hot weather doesn't help either. I've already been out three times today cleaning up because I have a mister on them and don't want it to smell. I'm hoping things will change once the weather starts getting cooler because I have to give them their treats! I do feed mine a lot of fruit and veggies and find when I just stick to the pellets their poop isn't as runny.

4. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    In hot weather your girls will drink much more water resulting in watery poop more often than we like....

To much treats of fruit as mentioned will also add to this...

It is normal in hot weather and being from MO you have had weather like ours in AZ this year, but humid...

Fall should slow the runs down a bunch for you.

5. juliaaa

juliaaa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Syracuse, New York
    Quote:This is good to know, thank you for sharing! I was going to post and ask the same thing...

Also, where is this poop chart? As much as I don't wanna look at it I feel like I should.............................

6. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    When mine get ample grass and clover, the poops are bulkier and more like horse manure, including much less odor. But there is still the occasional really runny mess. Maybe try offering soaked alfalfa pellets or cubes and see if it works for you.

7. farmerinKC

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Thank's everyone for your replies! I really haven't given my chickens too many treats, especially fruit-they are kind of picky girls. Here is a sample of what they may get for treats. I have nine-so these amounts would be split between nine chickens.

The seed part that you scoop out of one cantaloupe and later in the day about one-half cup of shelled sunflower seeds.
    or
    A cup of plain yogurt and later the one-half cup or so of sunflower seeds.
    Only a couple of times I gave them some grapes.

For the longest time they only liked yogurt for a treat. I did just buy some scratch yesterday-I felt like that would be good to give them an activity in their run-because I can't let them out in our small yard too often.

So besides their starter/grower crumbles and last week I put out a feeder with oyster shell-that's what they get as far as treats.
    Hopefully it will decrease when the temps get cooler.

Also, where is this poop chart? As much as I don't wanna look at it I feel like I should.............................

Unfortunately, I don't know how to show a link-but if you do a search for poop chart-you will find it. [​IMG] And your right-I didn't think I would ever be looking at a chicken poop chart! [​IMG]

8. farmerinKC

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    When mine get ample grass and clover, the poops are bulkier and more like horse manure, including much less odor. But there is still the occasional really runny mess. Maybe try offering soaked alfalfa pellets or cubes and see if it works for you.

Thanks! I will try that. [​IMG]

9. juliaaa

juliaaa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Syracuse, New York
    I'm resisting the urge to search "poop chart".... I have a feeling I will end up doing it as much as it doesn't sound fun!!! Sadly, I might even print it out and put it in my chicken binder, and maybe gross the kids out with it [​IMG]

10. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Too much fiber can contribute to runny poops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by