Any fruit will do???

MrsH527

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 4, 2013
I'm reading a lot about people giving their chickens fruit and veggies from the store or their gardens. This makes a lot of sense, but I'm wondering if I can give them just any ole fruit and veggies or if there are particular types to stay away from. My mom grows Satsumas and there are always some that can't be eaten. Are these safe for them? I want to make sure my chickens are happy lil hens!

Pretty much anything you toss to them will be fine. If a chicken doesn't like it, it won't eat it. Right now with the winter months, mine have been craving anything green. I will give them a head of lettuce and it is gone within minutes. I know that they don't like to eat the peelings of stuff as much, Such as carrot or potato or banana peelings. I don't have a sink disposal and we burn our trash, so when I peel potatoes or whatever, I just toss the peelings in my 'scrap bucket' and take it out to my chickens. I figure it'll compost eventually if they don't eat it. I know apples are a huge favorite as well as cantalope and melons. This summer when I had way too much zucchini, I chopped it up in big rings and threw it to my hens. They loved it!

Back
Top Bottom