Any further info on this pretty cochin roo?

stina3246

Songster
9 Years
Mar 25, 2010
I just fell in love with this roo today. He is supposed to be a black cochin. About 5 months old. He is super sweet (with people) He actually raped my silkie today but after that seemed to ignore my other 2) He is slightly bigger then the 2 banties. Any idea if he may be mixed? Will he get bigger or is he done growing?
Should he be fine with the banties?

Well, he isn't black and I don't think he is standard.

And I would probably change the way you talk about your chickens.

Your roo mated with with the silkie. rape is a harsh word for a chicken... that word means rage and violence...

Quote:
I'm sorry if it sounded harsh but this is exactly what it looked like. He was very violent and roughed her up quite a bit, pulling out feathers and pinning her to the ground but I guess I can't say rage since I don't know if they are capable of that emotion. I was only using the term because there is a chicken breeder that I speak to fairly often at a feed store I go to and this is what she calls it.
He only did this once and only to the silkie. After that her left her alone and tried to snuggle up to the frizzle. I watched them closely too to make sure there was no blood and it seems after he got it out of his system he was fine.

I would guess if he is old enough to service your hens, he's pretty much finished growing. He looks to be a gold-laced Cochin to me, although without a lot of gold lacing.

This is my gold-laced boy who I just re-homed this week.
31698_p1010404.jpg

They actually said he was a "red breasted black cochin" but I have a feeling they don't really know what they are talking about. Don't know if that is even a real type of chicken. He is settling in really well though. No more issues with the 2 girls after the first time. They all seem pretty peaceful together thank goodness because I REALLY like this guy.

Quote:
I agree, have you ever seen a chicken 'mate' before? Although it may look a bit harsh to us, with the rooster pinning the hen down and pulling on her neck feathers/head, it's quite natural for them. I have the most gentle rooster EVER! And he is the same way. It's just their life as a chicken. The roosters have hormones telling them to mate and sometimes if the hen doesn't submit, it may get a bit rough. My Rocky rooster; however, walks away if the hen doesn't lay down.

Quote:
I agree, have you ever seen a chicken 'mate' before? Although it may look a bit harsh to us, with the rooster pinning the hen down and pulling on her neck feathers/head, it's quite natural for them. I have the most gentle rooster EVER! And he is the same way. It's just their life as a chicken. The roosters have hormones telling them to mate and sometimes if the hen doesn't submit, it may get a bit rough. My Rocky rooster; however, walks away if the hen doesn't lay down.

Nope, I have never seen a chicken mate before until the day I put him in with my 2 "hens" at least I hope they are hens....seems to be the concences. (spelling?) I actually question if the silkie is a hen though because won't they mate another rooster to show dominence? He wasn't even in the pen for 2 min. before he went after my silkie banty but after that he was a perfect gentleman to my frizzle Banty. She didn't want his attention and he respected that and he hasn't tried to mate either one since. And he's SUPER sweet with me.
I had heard about how rough it can be but I wasn't prepared for that. I've bred horses before and that can get rough but holy cow!! Do NOT underestimate a rooster.

Quote:
Thanks Kennedyscochins. He sure is pretty. They kept saying "red Breasted" But I knew that didn't sound right and I asked if he was a banty because he was so small but they just didn't know. It dosn't REALLY matter cause I love him anyway but it's nice to know.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom