Any geese breeds good for city backyard flocks?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by desertskynm, Jan 22, 2011.

1. desertskynm

desertskynm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2010
    Albuquerque
    Hi everyone,

I am thinking of adding to my chickens with ducks and now perhaps geese. But I need the critters to be quiet so I don't anger the neighbors...

Is this possible in geese?

Thank you,
    DesertSkyNM

2. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    mine are VERY loud

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    don't get Emden then my gander is extremely vocal..

4. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    The only "quiet goose here is my pilgrim Bonnie Goose I never hear her.

5. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    My africans are by far the sweetest geese I have but most vocal as well. My Pilgrim pair I hear screaming of the top of their lungs once or twice a day.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My Emden does that too, it's like what are you doing trying to let every predator in western N.C. know where you live, good grief!

7. Diamond Wire Farms

Diamond Wire Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Placerville, CA
    The geese are the loudest members of our farm. That's why we have them. If something is amiss, they let us know. I can't see them being conducive to city living. Maybe a single female that was hatched and raised with chickens? She might not know she's a goose?

8. Lund Poultry

Lund Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, WI
    I would stay away from geese in the city, but you said you have ducks. Most ducks we have had over the years are way louder than any goose I have had (unless it is a mascovie) I myself would keep peace in the neighborhood and stay away from geese. ALL of our 5 breeds of geese are loud

9. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    My toulouse is surprisingly quiet for a goose. She doesn't have a extremely loud honk and only honks when we let her and the other birds out in the morning. Ive heard that romans and pilgrims are said to be the most quiet breeds.
    I think you could pull off a small flock of geese in the city, but you might want to avoid getting any ganders. The good thing about geese is when they start honking the neighbors don't always know what the noise is or where its coming from [​IMG]

10. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I was wanting a pair or trio of Mini Oregon geese sometime in the future. But can't find out anything about how noisy or quiet they are..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by