Any gender guesses on this Silkie?--- Updated

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MeettheFlockers, Jul 28, 2010.

1. MeettheFlockers

MeettheFlockers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    ***Edited for an update: He's def. a little man. He has started crowing and breeding. Thanks for all the guesses.

I'm usually spot on with telling gender and I'm almost positive this is a boy--- see the sprays on his head and his hackles? But my Rooster is constantly trying to breed with "him." <--- which is also why said Rooster earned the name Liberace.
    Am I wrong or is my Roo a swingin' boy that prefers sequined ascots and looking spectacular?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  2. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    As I'm not a silkie person yet (my chicks are on order) I can't give you a guess on weather that's a boy or girl I will say this, your top roo will mount a lesser roo to show him his place. Maybe it's just the photos but the poof on its head looks girly to me except for the very back where there are longer hairs. Can you tell if the comb and wattles are big through all those feathers?

3. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd bet a pullet. No true silkies in our barn but something makes me say pullet.

4. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    How old?

5. daproper

daproper Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2010
    Michigan
    My bet is pullet. It looks just like our four month old blue pullet. Our splash roo has a large dark red crown and waddles.

6. MeettheFlockers

MeettheFlockers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:It's about 8 months old.

7. vpeterson

vpeterson Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a pullet to me.

8. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    I'm going with "spectacular boy". The pic on the right looks definately like male streamers.

9. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Looks like a rooster to me too. The 'breeding' between them is most likely a dominance issue.

10. daproper

daproper Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2010
    Michigan
    Without seeing the comb I'd say pullet. I've uploaded our four month old lavender pullet and year old splash roo for comparision.

Our hen (Lilly)

[​IMG]

Our roo (Shadow)

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by