1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any gender guesses (several pics)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jenesis536, Dec 13, 2010.

1. jenesis536

jenesis536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    Our chicks are 8 weeks old... I know it's a little early on being able to tell the gender, but if anyone wants to guess I'd love to hear it. I'm hoping for no roos but sometimes I wonder. We have 1 black australorp, 2 buff brahmas (one who doesn't like her feathered feet and picks the feathers off), 1 delaware, 1 ameraucana and 1 cuckoo marans.

1 - Shelly and Freckles
    [​IMG]

2 - Shelly
    [​IMG]

3 - Misty (was 3 days when we got her and is still the smallest of the bunch)
    [​IMG]

4 - Freckles
    [​IMG]

5 - Shadow (was the biggest chick at first and now is the most shy)
    [​IMG]

6 - Honey (the loudest when I pick her up)
    [​IMG]

7 - The gang
    [​IMG]

8 - Sandy
    [​IMG]

9 - Honey and Sandy
    [​IMG]

2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Freckles and Shadow look rooish to me but I hope I'm wrong! [​IMG] unless you want some boys

3. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Excellent photos

no guesses, but just wanted to say

4. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Freckles looks like a roo to me, reasonably sure on that. Shadow could go either way, leaning towards roo. All others look like girls so far.

5. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:I second this, and just a fyi your brahmas are not buff they are light. [​IMG]

6. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

freckles is a roo, hands down. Shadow is most likely a roo too... but I'm not gonna place money on that just yet.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm gonna second the general consensus, the barred rock is a roo and the other one, shadow, is probably a roo.

8. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Quote:x2

Love to see the outside of your coop...the inside awesome! Lucky little birds [​IMG]

9. jenesis536

jenesis536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    [​IMG] Boy did anyone else feel like crying when they discovered they were going to have to give one of their babies away? Freckles is so sweet, but that one did start developing the comb pretty early. I can't imagine that I have to give 2 of my 6 away. I'll give it more time though. I was hoping to have all of these "girls" together, and not have to get rid of any or try to introduce replacements into the bunch. I'll update all of you later when I find out for sure.

I know this isn't the place for it, but since you asked - here is the coop on the outside. We made it a tractor coop. My first coop and first chickens! My design, hubbies woodwork, and I did all the caulking, sealing, painting, and roof. I found all of the wood free on CL, the tires for $20 and the rest we had to buy. It sure adds up, but I think we did a good job. We are building an pen area as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    LOVE the coop/ run!! Great job on that!

I'd agree, Freckles is a boy, Shadow might be, and Honey is and ADORABLE Easter Egger - love the beard - and most likely a girl. But keep an eye on 'her' - not sure if those are saddle feathers coming in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by