1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any German Shepherd Owners? Now With Pic...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by kandyg_99, Dec 4, 2009.

1. kandyg_99

kandyg_99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Colorado
    Hi Guys,I need some help.Thanks to my sister-in-law I just ended up with a German Shepherd pup.Any and all info on ths breed would be great....And Thanks....
    Here She is hiding under my kitchen table,poor baby
    [​IMG]
    Here's a better pic of Bella
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  2. sandyj

sandyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    St.Paul, Minnesota
    I have 2 German Shepards. They are the most loyal dog I've ever owned. We just got our chickens this spring. the dogs are 7 and 10 years old. If you have chickens watch the dogs with them. My male GS dog is gentle and lays in the yard with the chickens. The female chases and would probably kill or mame the chickens if left alone with them. Socialize your puppy with the chickens. [​IMG]

sandyj

3. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    As with any large breed protective dog, socialize, socialize, socialize. The more time you spend with your shepherd (or any breed dog) the better. But, also, teach him (her?) how to entertain himself, the last thing you need is a clingy, separation anxiety type dog. Try to find a balance. Crates are a dog's best friend if used correctly. Ummm, let's see, what else can I throw at you? Obedience training. classes are an easy way to spend quality time with him while also socializing him. Get a couple of books on the breed and on training Being he is a GSD, try the Monks of New Skete books. They raise GSDs and are huge into training. I love the way they interact with their animals and how tightly they intergrate them into their every day lives.
    Most importantly, enjoy your new dog!
    (and we want pics, and what's his/her name?)........

Best wishes for a looooong happy, healthy life togther!!

[​IMG]

edited because punctuation is important

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  4. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:Hi neighbor!

Really, you've hit the nail on the head. With any large protective dog you need to socialize. We made this mistake once, and will never do so again (hopefully). And obedience training is very important. Go to classes, this will kill two birds with one stone. You're socializing your pup, while also training your dog to behave well.
    We also crate. We treat this as her 'room'. When she wants to go to her 'room', she can, and if she needs time out, we'll put her in there for 15 minutes or so. Some dog trainers say you should treat the crate as the dog's home and never as a punishment, but our dog has never shown any resentment to her crate. She puts herself to bed in there when she's tired.
    Best of luck!

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    We have an almost 9 month old german bred GSD. We're waiting on a baby "brother" for him that's due to be whelped on Monday. We don't have access to professional training, so we work with him every day on training. We also heavily socialize him by taking him everywhere with us, with the only exception being the grocery store. He's met lots of people and loves them all. We're also dog socializing him in preparation for the new pup. He loves every dog he's met; male, female, altered or unaltered. He adores our 3 year old GS and is very protective of him.
    Jax is extremely intelligent and we couldn't be more pleased with him. [​IMG]

6. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    I've lived with GSD's my whole life, and they are my favorite breed. Very intelligent and loyal. They do need training; classes are a good start, and then working with them at home. Like everyone else said, SOCIALIZE, with humans and other animals. They are good family dogs and are protective of their "pack".
    This breed does very well when they have a job to do. We bought a doggy backpack for our boy, and when he's got a little too much pep we put the pack on for walks. It causes him to focus more and goof off less. You could teach your dog to help carry things, pull a sled, etc.
    We want pics! And will help with names if needed [​IMG]

7. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    my shepherd was great, dog aggressive but never met a human stranger, just watch, i lost her at 7 yrs old, she bloated(torsioned), i fed her in the morning after i got home from work then when i woke up about 5 pm she was dead, i still feel bad because i hate to know that she suffered while i slept, i wish i would have gotten up earlier but that's been 5 yrs ago, anyway i still plan on getting another one in a few years when i buy a bigger place [​IMG]

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That's an important reminder. We discourage heavy playing an hour or two before eating and for about two hours after.
    I'm sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

9. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I love my GSD, we rescued one by chance a few years ago, most intelligent dog I have ever owned. He passed in June and I still cry every day, but enough of that, I got Angus sight unseen from the Brooklyn, NY Animcal Control. One of THE best moves I ever did, can't believe it worked out.
    As stated above, TRAINING, whether professional or on your own, is THE best advice I would give. And socialization, too, is key. ANgus is 5, and he is in beginner training. We are both learning.
    Enjoy your new baby, and please, please post pics.
    Congratulations

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  10. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    IMHO a german shepherd is the best most loyal dog created. Here is my Gretchen with my son, laying in bed watching cartoons. She was the greatest dog. My neighbor poisoned her this past summer. She did not make it [​IMG] We miss her very much.

For your new puppy, just remember they get big really fast and the breed is very powerful. Make sure you establish dominance quick. I tied Gretchen to my side. She had to follow me everywhere. I made sure she waited for me to enter a room before she stepped foot across the threshold. This made me top dog in her book. She didn't come in the house until she was told to so there was no full on run in, knock down whoevers in your path kind of thing. One time she growled at me when I messed with her food bowl, once. I took her food bowl away and she ate from my hand for a week or two. She was really young. After she got her bowl back I sat and poke, pulled, tugged on her. I took her food away and made her wait to eat it until I told her to. I played with her food when she ate. Once she got over her food being messed with, my kids could have probably picked her nose and she would have never cared. So this is all the advice I can give you. Otherwise, enjoy this picture of my beautiful girl loving up on her boy.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by