Any good breeds?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rooster brandon., Sep 27, 2010.

1. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    Does anyone know of any good breeds.I have buffs,RIR,barred but does anybody have any good breeds. Doesn't have to be awesome or beautiful just has to be kinda of a good egg layer breed or like a buff or pretty like a barred or maybe put your good breed names on here................

2. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    If you are looking for eggs you can't beat the sex links. I have 4 which I believe are the golden comets. They are friendly girls and lay like crazy. The only thing I do not like about them is that they are not very accepting of other birds unless they look exactly like them or they were raised with them. A "good" breed is determined by what you are looking for and what you want them to do. I.E. Lay eggs, brood chicks, just be nice to look at, dual purpose(meat and eggs), etc.

3. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    rooster brandon. :

Does anyone know of any good breeds.I have buffs,RIR,barred but does anybody have any good breeds. Doesn't have to be awesome or beautiful just has to be kinda of a good egg layer breed or like a buff or pretty like a barred or maybe put your good breed names on here................

Looks to me you have some good ones already.​

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I think the breeds you have are good. I have RIR's that lay like crazy. I also have barred rocks that are very friendly even my roos. I have Black Australorps that are very laid back 2 Naked Necks that are just beyond cute. and 6 barnyard mixes that are extremely pretty. I also have a Delaware roo he is a baby kinda tempermentle he has to go to a new home cant have too many roosters.

5. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:Looks to me you have some good ones already.

I agree, you can't get a better brown egg layer than a RIR. For beauty and utility I love Speckled Sussex and Silver Laced Wyandottes.

6. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    Well thank you oh and sorry for the double question on the managing your flock i clicked it and i heard clickclickclick...................Then i was like oh god how many did it put on there...............So sorry ...........................And thank you for all the advice i do like easter egger's i might get some of them..........................................I think they have nice colors but what makes them lay different colors.................Just out of curiosity thank you and god bless...................

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by