Any good breeds?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rooster brandon., Sep 27, 2010.

1. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    Does anyone know of any good breeds.I have buffs,RIR,barred but does anybody have any good breeds. Doesn't have to be awesome or beautiful just has to be kinda of a good egg layer breed or like a buff or pretty like a barred or maybe put your good breed names on here................

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    ANY GOOD BREED ? ? ? That is a VERY VAGUE question. Good to you may not be good to me BECAUSE you want something different out of a chicken . . . . You need to determine what you want from a chicken and then NARROW down your question by choosing a 1/2 dozen breeds that you want to know specific information about.

Start with the following link. Lots of information in a nice chart format. It covers egg production, personality, broodiness, etc.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

3. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Well, pretty is subjective, but other than buffs (which I have 2 of and find very pretty), I think the Easter Eggers are pretty with their little beards, and I'm also partial to feather-legged breeds like cochins. You mentioned laying breeds, so you might not be interested in bantams, but Old English Game Bantams are also very pretty little birds.

4. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

For a good, friendly, pretty bird that lays well I like my Easter Eggers. I have a flock of "purebred" birds and each one is a different color combination and the eggs are beautiful too. If you want a bird that will go broody and hatch eggs I like my cochins, also very beautiful birds.

5. DomesticGoddess

DomesticGoddess Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2010
    It all depends on what you need and are looking for in a bird? There are many things to concider; Do you have cold winters? will they be hardy. Do you want good layers, or certain color of egg? There are many. Do you want quality? go to a breeder. Each bird will provide you a different quality. Do your research and find one that fits what your looking for. Good luck!

My Buff orpingtons are great birds, gentle and lay well...but are a bit noisy!
    Barred Rocks, are just amazing birds. They lay well and are hardy! Can't go wrong with them.
    I love my EE's they lay green to greenish blue eggs, beautiful birds...but they take longer to mature.
    Road Island reds are good birds, lay well, but a little more aggressive.
    I have also enjoyed my Delawares, great birds too...lay fairly well, but are again noiser then some other breeds.
    My favorite are the Red or Black Sexlinks, great all around bird. They lay well, they are hardy and are very friendly.
    My least favorite breed are the (brown)Leghorns, too skiddish and flighty...and don't lay as well as I was told they would.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by