any good for part of a coop?

If you have bantams (or just a few LF birds) you could use that for the entire coop. You would just need to add something to the open side, cut a door, add some roosts and an 'outtie' nest box and you're good to go! There were some of those on CL here a few weeks ago, the store (I think) was just giving them away. Of course I have no running vehicle at the moment, and I'm sure that once I do there will be nothing like that on CL again! Just my luck
hmm.png

70 bucks seems overly priced by half...
2 pieces of plywood at your local lumber yard and a free pallet, some hardware. Here could build that for about 35 bucks with labor.
Would work for about 3 hens, but would get really hot without circulation.
Just my opinion...
Would ask for 2 for the asking price.

Quote:
I agree. I used to work at a inporter/exporter and we had tons of skids that we gave away for free all the time. Come to think of it, we had boxes just like these with lids we gave away for firewood!

I'd check around and see if you can't make something for cheaper. Seems way overpriced!

Quote:
I agree. I used to work at a inporter/exporter and we had tons of skids that we gave away for free all the time. Come to think of it, we had boxes just like these with lids we gave away for firewood!

I'd check around and see if you can't make something for cheaper. Seems way overpriced!

Several weeks ago a company that contracted to re-stripe the intersate in our area. Drove by on my way to our store and noticed a sign "free pallets". We usually get all we need from our store but these were 42 inch with the 2x4 s end to end as shown in the op's pic. Got 80 of them.
Make great shade A frames in our runs and strategically placed the hens can free range and run under when hawks are circling, gates for runs, in the barn for storing hay, feed, etc...
Pallets are usually made of the "left over" oak wood. Last for years.

This is the reply I got from him

i give price breaks on multiple box sales, the marine ply used on these
boxes is 1 inch thick and sells for over 100 per sheet. i do have some
older style boxes same size 3/4 inch sides would sell for $50 each if
you bought 2 or more.

$70 seems steep to me.

I got a crate that was twice that size last summer FOR FREE from a hot tub distributor. The plywood wasn't 1 inch thick (but plenty stable none the less and framed with 2x4s and WITH a lid), but really, do you need it to be so sturdy?

I know that good solid crates are also readily available from motorcycle dealerships (my DH moto came from Italy in a very sturdy box). Also, engines come over from Europe to many auto dealerships and they might be willing to part with them for a lot less money.

If budget is of concern, I'd keep looking.

Back
Top Bottom