Any good hatcheries?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by afre13, Mar 13, 2013.

1. afre13

afre13 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2013
    I have been all over the internet looking for good hatcheries, but I have always come to at least one of the following problems
    1. out of stock of female chicks
    2. require a high minimal order for a backyard flock
    3. have a small selection of breeds to choose from
    4. wont restock until May

i just want to start with a small, backyard flock of maximum of 10-12 chickens (not bantams). I was looking at either Meyer's, or Ideal since they have a good minimal order number, but they are out of stock until later.

I looked at McMurray, and they have every bird I want, but they require a 15 bird minimum, and wont arrive until mid April.

Cackle has almost no breed I want.

I have been looking at thepoultryhatchery.com they ship 3 chicks after march, and they have a wide selection.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Have you tried My Pet Chicken?

3. DaddyBird

DaddyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    What breeds are you looking for? Here are some thoughts...

• You may be able to find a breed association that can help you identify a breeder in your area.
    • If they are heritage breeds, you can go to www.albc-usa.org and look by zip for breeders around you.
    • See if there is a thread on here for your area and post what you are looking for. Although I have worked with poultry for years, my wife and I are new to owning chickens but have found people more than willing to help others get started.
    • Either combine an order with others in your town to get the minimum or order the minimum and offer the extras via a post to classifieds, craigslist, etc.
    I hope this helps.

4. DaddyBird

DaddyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Don't they just drop ship from Meyer?

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I'm pretty sure they drop ship from a few different places depending on the breeds ordered.

6. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Do you have a feed store or TSC in your area? http://www.tractorsupply.com/StoreLocator , Look there and see if one is close to you they get a couple of shipments a week I think, at least one but my local ones sell out quick so you have to be there early.

7. afre13

afre13 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2013
    Yeah, the one in my area only has Brahmas, white leghorns, comets, and cornish.

8. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    The Leghorns are laying machines, just get white eggs. Mine do a great job. Comets are I think the same a the red sex links that they have in my area also great layers of brown eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by