any good ideas to saveing food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kerrysmommy, Sep 24, 2011.

1. kerrysmommy

kerrysmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    My house :]
    hi i was wondering with the price of feed going up is there a way to save TONS of $ on feed? like homemade scratch grains that don't include much effort making because i am very busy with school and mabey layer feed and chick feed? i breed chickens so this money i think i need. i tend to give my chickens the best nice big coops.......im a big chicken geek [​IMG]
    thanks,
    kerrysmommy

2. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm going to make my own layer feed from soybean meal, wheat, corn and Milo, plus kelp and oyster shell. Between that and bugs/ kitchen scraps and sprouting the wheat, I think it should be ok. I can mix up the SBM and cracked corn, mix the Milo/ wheat separately for sprouting. Then add the kelp/ oyster shell at the end. I also add some nutritional yeast, which is high in b-vitamins and complete protein.
    The grains dropped my per bag price by $4.00 from the layer feed I was buying. Plus, it seems fresher than commercial feed. I just don't feel that by-products that are ground, cooked, baked and shaped, then sit in bags for who knows how long can be as fresh and nutritious as whole grains.
    I can mix and match the grains and seeds this way, too. Variety is a great way to improve nutrition. I'll be tossing in flax, BOSS, chia, etc, just not everyday.

3. abejita

abejita Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Letting your chickens free range, even part of the day, will save a bunch on feed. I always notice a dramatic decrease in feed consumption when the girls have plenty of time in the yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by