Any good pics on sexing geese anywhere.....

Discussion in 'Geese' started by chickenzoo, Mar 28, 2012.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Trying to sex my adult Roman Tuffted geese crosses, and need to know what to look for. On one I saw a small protrusion with like stiff hairs on it...... boy? [​IMG]

2. HortonFarms

HortonFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Hope Hull, Alabama
    Check out Metzer Farms. They have a great video on sexing ducks and geese.

3. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    I was told that in the tuffted that the female babys are a light grey in color. Does anyone know if this is true? I would have thought that since they are both white as adults that both sexes would be yellow as babys.

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    DNA or Vent sexing is the two most accurate ways to determine gender. On an adult gander if you vent sex it wouldn't be small. However being in Florida you should have been finding eggs and seeing breeding well before now.

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Lol, well I have twenty something geese.... So eggs I have been getting, but on some of the geese it is hard to tell who from what. My Sebbies I can tell, but a few of the other I'm not sure on. I've sold off a bunch, and so far have been correct but one really has me stumped. It looks like a girl, but when I tried to vent sex there was a small protrusion with stiff hair like bristles ????
    It also hangs out with the ducks instead of the geese ?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Can you pen her away from the others to see if she is laying? Other than vent or DNA sexing that would be the next best way to tell.

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Just saw the video. WOW!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by